Bait Clickers-Worth the money?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by chinook, Oct 8, 2005.

1. chinook

chinook New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just started serious catfishing this summer. I'm hooked, so now I'm planning on buying a few rods and reels. I have been reading the posts on baitclickers. There seems to be mixed opinions about them. Are they worth the extra money?

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    well I guess that depends on a few things. but lets start with what type of hooks do you use? circle? or conventional "J" type hooks?

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I dont think it cost more for the clicker itself I have 2 Abu 6500 with clickers and using Kahle hooks. It makes it a little easier for me at least due to not having to pay so much attention to the rod tips or wether or not I have a bite. If it starts clicking I have a bite for the most part. As far as the Cost I bought one of my reels of Ebay for 50 bucks that includes shipping/handling.

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well i Think its a great thing to have them on all your reels. its not that much more cost ans you need a good reel . 50 to 75 bucks can get you a good reel at say basspro or cabela's maybe wally world too. The ambassadeur 5500 is like 60 bucks that i use with a 7' rod that i thinks was like 20 bucks with 65 lb stealth spiderwire on it. i have six set ups like this three have 6500's on the that was around 70 bucks. and they all do very well with six rods out at times hard to watch them all and not have one jump out of the boat. ;)

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think it boils down to what type of fishing you prefer. If you like to tight line then there is no need for a bait clicker. Our brother Baitkiller uses big open face reels and ten foot poles,only tight lines and is very successful. But you have to keep a constant watch on your outfit.Now as for me, I use a baitcaster with line out alarm.I free line, and when I nap it wakes me up! lol You can tight line or free line with both kinds of reel,and they both come with line out alarms.The most important thing,is what Baitkiller taught me.No matter what method you use, keep your eyes on that pole,suspect even the slightest movement,don't get excited and let the fish make the mistake.:0a26:

6. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I think that perhaps chinook is comparing price between a big spinning reel vs a baitcaster. If thats the case, a person could consider a few things. if you use circle hooks, drift, or float baits you don't need a clicker and could get by with a large spinning rod & reel and save a few bucks in the process. I myself prefer baitcasting reels with clickers because I can do all of the above and have the added advantage of still fishing with the clickers. but a large high quality baitcasting reels can get a bit pricey. I prefer the abu garcia 7000 at about $100 a pop it can add up quick.

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Chinook, I have both bait clickers and closed face spinning. I have the bait clickers,which are tidewaters bait casters rigged with circle hooks. I don't watch these rods. I rely on the bait clickers to let me know when I have a hook-up. The other rods have slip bobbers on them rigged with kahle hooks,I watch these rods. Just my way of cat fishing, it works for me. :D

8. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    It really depends on how you want to fish. If I am using circle mt bait runners do not get used. If I am fishing dip bait or J hooks then I either use a lot of slack or a bait runner. They are both excellent ways of fishing and there is a time and place for both.

-Brian

9. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    ...................I beleive if u want to catch shovel heads , then u want a clicker..........u gotta let them run......the more line u can let them take out the better

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    its all prefference. there a few spinning reels that have lina out alarms and such. for targeting big catfish IMO a baitcaster is the best rigs. however there are large spinning outfits too.

the baitcaster takes a bit more time to learn and master but even the best (and i ain't) still get an occasional birdnest. i have gotten to where there light and can be removed in a few seconds.

the spinning reels are a tad easier to cast.

i for one used to like spinning reels and swore by em. i still have a few and still ocassionally use them but am a baitcaster man myself.

on the clickers. i drift for channel cats most of the time. that type of fishing doesn't require clickers. however flathead fishing i always anchor and still fish tight line with freespool and clickers. stop and think what type of fishing ya do most.

IMO they are worth the money. if you want to try one try ebay. you can get a used penn for $25-35. then if ya really like them then ya can go nutz like i did.

11. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    One thing to consider is, are you fishing from the shore or from a boat? I have a baitcaster and a spinning and can tell you that the spinning is MUCH better for casting long distances, which is beneficial if your fishing from the bank. If you're fishing in a boat then casting distance isn't so much an issue.

In the end it all depends on personal preference, I like either one pretty much equally, but can tell you if I didn't have a boat, I would own spinning reels so I could cast farther into the water.

12. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i use spinning rods for bream, crappie, trout, etc, but for catfishing or striper fishing i use abu. baitcasters. once you get use to them you will love them. they are easy to dissassemble and clean also they are easy to get parts for if something wears out. and they can take alot of abuse from larger fish. aliitle cleaning and oiling once a yr and they will last forever i have some ten to twelve yrs old.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i just happened to be cleaning 5 abus in the past day. im gonna do a good wright up in the lib on one popular model soon.

14. Sean

Sean New Member

State:
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have found the opposite to be true, I can get way more distance with a baitcaster than any spinning rig.