Bait Clickers and Circle Hooks

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by chinook, Oct 6, 2005.

1. chinook

chinook New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I recently bought a baitclicker reel and also just recently bought some circle hooks. I am still not sure whether it is okay to use circle hooks with the baitclicker on or should I keep the baitclicker off so the line will tighten against the rod quicker. I have read a few posts on this but no clear answer. I really respect the opinions on this forum because I have tried many things I have read here and everything has been right on, so I really want to know what is the right way or the best way. Also, can circle hooks with bobbers be used with the baitclicker on.

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I think everyone pretty much knows my opinion on circle hooks and bait clickers. I love circle hooks I just make sure I don’t use them with bait clickers. Yes it’s true the clickers are nice to hear. But man nothing and I mean nothing is more of a rush then watching that rod in the rod holder double down. While watching your drag scream as it’s releasing line while the fish is hulling @$$ down river. That and I’m a firm believer that the less noise you make in a boat the better and diving for rods just makes to dang much noise.

3. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Truthfully I tried both methods and I believe its better to let the fish double down instead of going with the clicker.The only problem is that yo have to make sure your rod is in a good rod holder for that to hapen or else you can see your rod hall off if a good fish happens to slam it. Also the circle is meant to hook in the corner of the mouth so there is no need of letting them run for a while on the circle. The more they run, the more likely I think you are to lose them, unless they swallow it.

4. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    i totally agree ....i always keep my bait clicker off when im using circle hooks :).....when that rod dips over and stays there ....all ya gotta do is reel em in :).....

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I agree with no bait clicker.

I do flip them on sometimes if I am fiddling with something in the boat that takes my eyes off the rod like cutting bait or tieing a new rig.

A tight line and a good weight or drift spread will allow the circle hook to do its job much better than allowing a fish to run with the bait.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I prefer to tightline, but I have caught fish on circles both ways. I won't tightline if I can't anchor my poles adequately. My "catch" ratio has been higher when I do tightline.

7. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've always turned the baitclicker on while fishing with circle hooks from the boat. I just don't freespool the clicker, I loosen the drag up enough to keep light pressure on the line which I can tighten up if I get one on. Sure my pole will double over and when the fish takes off with it, my drag is set light enough to let em run if I happen to doze off. :rolleyes: :0a26:

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I use clickers because I'm a little slow and they have snatched rods from the boat before even from the rod holders. Granted it may not be the best practice but it will catch fish.

9. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I use the same method as Ramrod. Almost all fish I've caught on circles have been caught on this method.

I've also heard of free spooling with the clicker on. When the fish runs, just engage the reel and hold it until the rod loads up.

10. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have circle hooks on all my rods with bait clickers. I have fished this way for two years now. I have done good with the circles. I also use kahles with slip bobbers.

11. danyelle

danyelle New Member

so basically don't buy expensive baitrunners, just get some octopus circles?

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    danyelle, I would not really say don't buy them. There is a time and place for everything. Most of your good reels are going to have bait clickers though.

13. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I always use my clickers, but I don't put them on free spool. I am usually puttering with something and need to know when something has grabbed it. I also use circles on all my catfishing setups,but use khales for getting bait. Dick

14. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I use the method of loosing your drag a bit and leaving the clicker on and allowing the rod to load up before the line is pulled out. It works good if you do remember that the drag is loose and tighten it up a bit when you are fighting a fish. But both ways works great having it on with drag and with the reel in free spool using the tensioner to hold back the line from going out. But the drag method is the way to go, because if you depend on the tensioner in free spool it will tend to burn up and you won't be able to use the tensioner to adjust for casting. Hope this helps this is just my opinion. ;)

15. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    alright.........i've always used a garcia baitcaster with a big J hook for my big set up.......i recently got a big open faced reel....without a clicker....i think my best bet would be a circle hook on this set up.....i'm not experienced at all with circles........i often use live bait.......can anyone recommend a good circle hook for me to use, im gonna get probally a pack of size 4 and a pack of size 8's for different situations.........thanks for any help....

16. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I use circles with my clicker on all the time... as long as the rod isn't perfectly in line with the bait the circles should work... the rod will have to bend a little and allow line out and that little bit of pressure is usually enough to plant the circle's point in the flesh... plus if it doesn't then when you lift the rod slowly to pick it up it should set in the mouth.... only problem is the tendency to make a hookset which you don't have to do but its almost instinctive when you hear the clicker...

17. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I use the clicker as a bait alarm! I would say that 90 percent of the fish I catch, mouth the bait first, which alerts me, I then engage the reel and wait for the rod to load up. The other 10 percent take the bait and run, I engage the reel and again the rod loads up and I catch the fish. I dont recall losing any fish, but it is important to let the rod load up and not jerk the bait out of the fish's mouth. With my Penn lever drag, I leave the rod engaged, but with drag set at a pre-determined light setting and when I hear the clicker, the fish is on and I move the drag setting to the "fighting" position. As for circle hooks and slip-bobbers, I love um and is my fishing method of choice, no clicker needed there!

18. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    whats the best brand for circle hooks??

19. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I use the bait clickers and the circle hooks because i tend to doze of during the night, for me the clicker is my alarm clock to reel' em in.

20. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    the ones i have in my tackle box right now are a mix of Gama's in sizes 4/0, 6/0 and 7/0 and Eagle Claws in 2/0 but i also use the prerigged Matzuo's in a size 2 or 4 when im fishing in an area that has bullheads too (the prerigged and a swivel allow me to change hooks easier if the hook breaks or the line breaks just above the hook... after i've caught some 20+ fish usually bullheads ,1 lbs or so,and white perch with quite a few channels,up to 8lbs, thrown in too and they sometimes bend the light hooks... usually getting stuck well in the mouth and my fault for the breaks)

For baitcatching (bluegills) i use either a gama size 8 or the eagle claw's in a size 4 or 6 (got them on sale and fishing camp campers didn't use them up)