Bait clicker

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by primitivefrn, Oct 18, 2006.

1. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    When fishing do you use your bait clicker ,or lock it down and let drag work
    and why?
    Jim

2. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    During the winter time I fish with the spool engaged. In the summer time i like to let the bait clicker do the work. Heres how it goes, when fishing in the winter time fish are slower (slower metabolic rate). This makes the fish chew on the bait longer rather than just knock the crap out of it. When I fish for big flatties during the winter i Just engage the spool and leave enough drag for the fish to pull without breaking my rod. I usually just see the slow motion towards the water. Or the just sit there and chew on it. Sometimes I leave the spool open with no clickers on if they are biting really light. I let them run with it for about 10 feet then set the hook.

During the summer I sometimes use clickers. The tend to nail it during late spring and early fall. The catfish I have in avatar was caught with the baitclicker on. Nothing beats hearing those things hummm when you get a big one screaming it

Overall, i don't prefer using the clickers but if they are biting good i'll use them.

3. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i turn on the clicker and leave the reel engaged unless i am striper fishing then i will use free spool. i use circle hooks and with the free spool on the hook wont set. when catting i just use the clicker with the reel ingaged because when using circle hooks the hook wont set with it on free spool. also if he pulls hard enough to pull the drag then the clicker will let me know, if i dont happen to see him hit.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Can't use the bait clicker while drifting, so I don't.

Too much current on the river to use the bait clicker *except* when fishing in an eddy or other slack water area.

Only time I've used the bait clicker was when we were fishing the river, anchored on a sand bar and I tossed a line up toward the head of the sand bar in the eddy current and laid the rod down on the deck with just the clicker engaged. It was a neat sound when the 12 lb flathead took the bait and ran... :smile2:

5. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i use clicker all the time with the spool unlocked.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I nomally dont use my clicker, I just tight line. maybe I should use it some.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I will use my clicker when trolling and stationary fishing. For drifting I keep the reel engaged.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've only recently begun using the clicker in freespool, maiinly when bank fishing or anchored. Dont when drifting. One of the reasons I use it, though, isn't for the catfish, but Mr. Gar. Mr. Gar, he likes to run with the bait, with the clicer on and in free spool, I can let him run, then set the hook when I think he's taken the bait. And, every once and a while, I catch one of dem thangs. My new 6500 has a nice loud clicker and its music is pretty when it goes off.

9. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use my clicker on my reels all the time. But in strong current you will need to use a heavy sinker to keep it from drifting. I also found that using a flat no roll sinker works real well.

10. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Thanks for input, Its interesting to see different methods, one some times gets tunnel vision like fishing the same hole or place all the time. I usually,
    use bait clicker and free spool I was wondering about, circle would work better if , if reel was ingage, for a more solid hook up, I usally use 7000 Abu and set tension tight takes a 2 lb blue and up to ripp, it off. any more thoughts.
    Jim

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I fish a big river for channels. Thats what it has to offer. I'll leave my reels on free spool with the clicker on and I use circle hooks. 8/0 Gamma to be exact. LOL! If the bite is aggressive and most times it is I simply enjoy the sound. LOL! An aggressive bite is usually when circles are at thier best. I'm not one to be starein at rods when I'm in the boat so the clicker on is the route to go for me. Besides I'm usually gettin somethin to eat or drink outa the cooler or chokein down a smoke. LOL! That combined with bein aware of ship and tug traffic don't give ya much time to be starein at rods. LOL!

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The only time I lock my reels down is if I am fishing heavy current. All other times I'm on free spool with the clicker set. Even when drift fishing I will free spool with the clicker on and the brake tightened down just enough to drag the bait along. The reason I do this is a lot of times on the initial run the fish will have lipped the bait and not have the hook in it's mouth and if the reel is locked down you will pull the bait out of it's mouth but if you give it just a few feet of run time they will take that second chomp and then you can set the hook or just engage the reel if you are using circle hooks. This method works really well for me and has greatly increased my hook up ratio when drift fishing not to mention the sound of that clicker is the most addictive sound I know:smile2: .

13. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    That's a good idea - will have to give it a try next time I'm out drifting. I tried to use the clicker once or twice but it was constantly taking line when my sinker bumped something; cranking the casting brake a bit tighter never occurred to me...