Bait Clicker Reel

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Mr.T, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Can someone explain how and why you'd want a bait clicker on your casting reel?

I looked at an Abu Garcia (forget the model) with a bait clicker switch, but the best I could tell, the bait clicker part only "did something" if your drag was loose enough that a fish could pull out line and make it click. Which seemed to imply that you had to tighten the drag before you could reel anything in. So I shied away from it and bought a different Abu Garcia model that didn't have the clicker.

But now upon reflection, I'll bet I didn't understand how the whole bait clicker mechanism is supposed to work, because it seems silly that you'd have to adjust the drag with a fish on.

So what's the benefit other than the obvious audible indicator of a bite?

2. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    With the bait clicker you can leave the reel in free spool, with the bait clicker on, and a fish can pick the bait up and run with it without causing a backlash. I use more than one rod so this feature comes in handy because it allows me to spread my rods out without worrying about a fish pulling one in before I get to it.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    MrT., Griz nailed it, with the bait clicker on one can have more than one rod out. The bait clicker will let you know when a fish is on the run with your line.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    They help you when you doze off on a boring night!! :D

They are really designed for fish that grab bait and run and need to be allowed to ingest the bait. Stripers are a good example. I generally do not use my clicker on cats because I use circle hooks. The clicker reduces line tension and defeats the effects of a circle hook.

If you decide to use it be sure to crank the handle once before you set the hook. If you dont you will end up with a nice bird nest and a fish on the other end. :eek:

5. Sean

Sean New Member

State:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Griz nailed it. You turn the clicker on and disengage the reel allowing a fish to pull line. I'd recommend a Penn over an Abu if you're considering buying one. I own three baitcasting reels, a Penn209m, an Abu 7000c3 and a Penn330gti. The 209 is my favorite, but the abu is the prettiest. The drag on the Penn's is much much smoother and they just feel all around more solid. The Abu drag can be made smoother by upgrading to the "Smoothie" washers, which if you do go with the Abu I would recommend doing because the drag out of the box feels pretty crappy.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I get it now... not sure I need a bait clicker though for the way I fish, but at least I'll know how to use it if I ever do buy one.

Thanks for the information!

7. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    The Penn reels are great, I have a 310gti that is fast becoming my favorite reel. But for someone just learning to use a baitcaster, I feel the ABU 5000 or 6000 series reels are easier to cast. The drag is smoother on the Penn, but I have caught flats over 40lb with the ABU 6000 and 7000 reels and the drag worked fine. Now if you are fishing for something that makes long high speed runs then the Penn drag would really be an advantage, but for catfishing I don't think it makes that much difference. Of course this is just my opinion.