Bait Choices for Rivers

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Propshredder, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hope someone might be able to help me out with their experiences and opinions regarding river bait. For the past 10 days I've spent alot of time on the Missouri and Osage Rivers fishing. Lots of moving, scouting alot of water and fishing the usual places. Not alot of fish to show for my efforts but I know that happens. My question is regarding bait choices. For me and my area the easiest bait by far to obtain is Bluegill and Perch. I have a heck of a time finding shad on the Missouri or Osage and sometime seem to spend more time throwing my net then actually fishing. I usually have some frozen skipjack with me as well. I am usuall blessed (or cursed) with a flying asian carp in the boat on the Big Mo within a few minutes of being on the water. My main two question are:
    1. Is there a huge difference between bluegill or shad? I like the bluegill because you have the option for live bait or cutbait and it stays on the hook better. However, def not as oily as shad.
    2. Cut asian carp is very tough meat and stays on a hook great. I can get a huge amount of cutbait from one of them. Opinions on freezing the meat for winter time bait?

Thank for the opinions and help in advance.

2. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    You know.. I think that bluegill in the river is just not a favorite of the cats. I have been fishing with them a lot this year and have not caught the fish. I think that shad and moon eyes are a much better option in the rivers and as far as catching them...you got me. I have a hard time catching them too. Seems the best place to catch shad is at a lake or slack water around barges, other man made objects.

3. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I like the asian carp and shad. But I also try to stay with bait that comes from the water that I am fishing. This is what the fish are used to eating. I believe that you will do better if you stay with what comes from the water you are fishing no mater weather it is a river, lake, pond ect.

Tom

4. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Tom have you ever froze any of the Asian carp for future use? I'm going to attempt to fish more in the cold weather this year and I know that catching bait can get tougher in the winter. I've had no luck with frozen shad and I plan on going on the winter skipjack run with the guys on the board down in STL and such who go. I think frozen skipjack makes a fine bait but buying it around here can get real expensive. Mi11er I agree about the bluegill in the MO but I catch the heck out of them on the Osage River system from Bagnell all the way down to the mouth so I know some cats are used to inhaling them. On a side note, I'm thinking about doing some Asian Carp snagging for the heck of it. I have 3 specific spots in mind that I have seen so many it almost blacks out the sonar every time I go by. One reason I thought I might see about bagging some for future use if I'm successful. I could also just go in a circle but then I might get slimed!!

5. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I brought home a nice fat 6lb carp about the first of august.
    Scaled it then cubed it into chunks and strips. Froze it in several small snack sized bags. Its kept me in bait for most of the last month.

Funny thing is it seems to work better after its been frozen, thawed, left in the sun for 6 hours, then refrozen a time or 2.

After a couple of thaw, sun, refreeze cycles the pieces don't stay on the hook quite as well. But they are softer and have more emm aroma to em.

I'd for sure try one, and see how it works for you.

6. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Carl I have never frozen it before. But I have some in the freezer now and plan to get more. As I to plan on fishing through the winter. But leave the skin on and it is tough a nails and helps to hold it on the hook imo. Just make sure that there are no scales on the tip of your hook as this will prevent hook penatration in the fish.

Tom

7. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    I too have used the frozen asain carp with good success. They seem to stay on hook very well. I believe better than shad once frozen, the shad seem to get a little mushy and not as tough as fresh.

8. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hook your frozen shad while it is still half frozen. Pull out of the cooler just as many as you will need to bait up all your poles for that round of fishing. 20 minutes go by, pull in and rebait for the next round. After 2 rounds, throw out more anchor rope to slip down or consider moving..