Bait choice?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by fishinggal4life, Aug 28, 2006.

1. fishinggal4life

fishinggal4life New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Ok guys, what is really the best choice of bait for catching the decent sized ones? I'm not sure what to use. Any advice from you experienced fishermen?

2. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Live bait and cut bait is my choice. I use whole bluegills and shad. I have also used cut skipjack and cut bluegills. I have caught some nice fish on both. Shrimp is also a good bait and easy to mess with. Hope that helps you out some!!

3. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    my opinion would be shad.how i do it is,if the shad is smaller than four or five inches i use it whole if bigger i cut it up.depends on the size of fish that are in the water that you are fishing. the lake i fish if you catch a fifteen pounder that is huge.

4. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Rice slicks ( sun perch) Live , skip jack cut bait

5. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have caught good eaters on nearly everthing. If you want a photo fish then go with big bait. I have caught 26"-32" cats on everthing from garden worms to deep diving crank baits. Just this weekend I lost a 30" cat on a beetle spin.

I use worms on a red road runner jighead with a colorado blade under a bobber at about 2' along riprap in late evening and night and catch a skillet full most times.

I also like magic bait and have had decent luck with many dough/stink baits. I love cutworms as they are tough and stink. I guess the bait choice all depends on what size you are after and how hungry the cats are.

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I like shad, herring and bream. All cut for blues and channels. While I am not an avid flathead guy I am pondering giving them a run later in the year, for them live bait's such as bream and bullheads.

7. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    live bait bluegills,creek chubs,gold fish,

8. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I think the best all around bait is big lively bluegill for catfish the more that bluegill is struggling to get off the hook the faster that cat will hit it. i think it drives them crazy.

9. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    For eater channels I like dip bait. Usually use Hoss's Hawg Bait with Looper Rigs unless I'm out and then I will use liver. For bigger fish I like gill heads.

10. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    If you're not sure what works for you then experiment with a little bit of everything. I would take shrimp and stinkbait. For bigger fish I'd use live bream. Experiment and remember it's not always the bait that doesn't catch. Theres other factors like weather, time of the day and whether its early mid or late season. Persistence is key in learning all about this stuff.