bait change?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by fishinphenom, Aug 25, 2009.

How long til you check/change ur bait ?

1. 10 mins

2. 20 mins

3. 1 hour

4. leave it alone all night

5. when the time is just right

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    When fishing with cut bait or live bait how long does it take you or how often do you change bait / reel up and check ur bait.. or whatever if the bite is a lil slow..

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i'll usually check about 20-30 minutes

3. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    I voted 1 hour.with cut bait i will check it after about an hour unless i move before then.And with live bait i'll leave it unless it takes a good hit then about 15 min or so after it gets hit i'll check it.

4. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I usually check it to make sure its there after 45 min to an hour. If I see something has been hitting it, sometimes sooner. No point fishing with a bare hook.

5. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    With a Kat Bobber I dont check it till the perch stops swimming. sometimes it does stop swimming, but all I do is tug the line and most the time it starts back to swimming. Id say about 20 minutes on the bottom, unless I know for sure im on sand or mud. Good luck.

6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Pretty much I just leave it out unless I wanna use something different.

7. wvcatfisherman

wvcatfisherman Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    On the bottom I usually leave it out about 3-4 hours unless it gets hit before then. With a bobber I leave it about 1 hour then check it to try to keep live bait on it all the time.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with this post.

9. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    Gotta go with about every 20 minutes just to make sure I'm not wasting the rest of the time.:wink:

10. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    It depends:eek:oooh::tounge_out: Am i fishing current? anchored? drifting? Is the water warm? Cool? Cold? Is the wind blowing to all get out? All are factors in when i check my baits. We boat fish 5 rods each:wink: so if i got some getting hammered & the others ain't then i check it..sometimes the fish bite fast, sometimes real slow.....I try to get the pattern there showing me for the day then i adjust my baiting to there hitting...It might be 5 minutes or it could be 45minutes or an hour.

11. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Cut bait 15 to 20 min. max fresh bait is the key..You go through bait faster but how many times have you put fresh bait in the same spot you have been fishing and got hit as soon as it hits the bottom??:wink:
    Live bait 45min to 1 hr, but I dont fish live much..
    Puddle

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
  13. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I usually check it every hour or so. I will check it after a good hit, but will leave it 10 min after the hit so if it comes back.

14. lazer20

lazer20 New Member

State:
    WV
    Depending on where im fishing it can vary. Usually I will give it 20-30 mins depending on if there are alot of gar around. If I let it set and looks like I was getting a bite I'll usually give it about 5mins then check it. I spend at least an hour or more just catching bait so that i can always have fresh bait on my hook. Ohio river is full of gar so i dont let my bait sit long.

15. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i don't fish cutbait'live only,but it depends on alot of different factors that make this question hard to answer.water temp.,current,weather,types of live bait,shad , bream,bullhead ect.... all affect the answer.

16. massa_blake

massa_blake New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have no set time limit it really just depends if I decide to try a new spot or bait

17. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    depends on how long it takes to convince myself to haul my lazy butt outa the chair and run a check/rebait,and if fishing moving water how much crap is in the water getting hung up on my lines.

18. brotherknothead

brotherknothead New Member

State:
    Ft Campbell, KY
    It depends on how active the fish are. To me if they are more active I change every 10-15 mins. If not so active then I will let it sit for about thirty mins. Then when I rebait, I try to throw to same location as before.

19. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    i fish mostly live bait, so i will leave it out about a hour if their hitting slow. 30 min if their aggressive!