Bait catching

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by Alabama Al, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Alabama Al

Alabama Al New Member

State:
    Alabama, Mobile Delta
    Good morning folks
    I am a newbie and at this stage my next problem is to catch bait when I need to. I fish the delta at Mobile. I am not very good at throwing a cast net. But most of the time when I get a good spread and hit the school of shad, I get nothing. I tried a Sabiki rig last night and got no hits.
    My question is,,, will shad hit a Sabiki rig??? Am I wasting my time trying?
    Does anyone have any helpful hints on using a cast net??

Thanks for your help.
    Alabama Al
    :confuse:

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    What size cast net are you using? I use a 5' radius net, and I don't think that you can be very successful with one much smaller than that. Only two things I know of that might help you: a larger net, or a net with more weight per foot. Nets with more weight than usual may have to be ordered, cost more, and sink faster than regular weights.

3. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC. I guarantee shad and skipjack will hit a sabiki rig.
    I use them all the time here in Alton, Illinois. If you are not catching any it is because they are not there. Good luck. If you cast a sabiki and the bait fish are there, they will hit it.

4. willyray07

willyray07 New Member

State:
    alabama
    the best thing to do is always try to go to a small lake and catch a 5 to 10 bream to take with you because they stay alive so well and build a bait tank for your home so you can keep all of your surplus bait you may be waiting too long to pull your cast net in and the shad are swimming out from under it i used to have this problem if the shad are visibly schooling on top the best bet is to wait between 3-5 seconds before pulling on it and toss the net dont try to throw it really hard the current also plays heck on a cast net and it is hard to catch them unless u have a large weighted net my first mistake was buying a 6 foot net unless your a buildy builder after 10 throws your arms feel like jelly and im a a big ol boy (6'4 230 lbs) stick with a 4 to 5 foot net but dont buy a 3 and a half either you can catch a few skipjack on crappie jigs beetle spins rooster tails and if u can find them use speck rigs they are mainly a saltwater application but the skipjack will tear them up

5. Alabama Al

Alabama Al New Member

State:
    Alabama, Mobile Delta
    Thanks for the tips folks.
    I have a place to catch some brim with a cast net. I will use bread to draw them in. It works better than catfish food.
    Just a tip. I keep my boat in the water behind my sons house. I feed the fish bread that I buy at the bread thrift store. If you are not familiar with them, they sell the bread that is about to be out of date. I call ahead and ask for bread feed the fish. They sell me out of date bread, I get a standard Wall Mart bag, full for fifty cents. whatta deal.

I think the next move is to get a net with a little bigger meash.

Thanks for the help folks.

Alabama Al

6. willyray07

willyray07 New Member

State:
    alabama
    i was just wondering why bigger mesh ??? and i used to draw the bream in with bread and then use the cast net but i caught alot more bream by drawing them in with the bread then using a really small hook with a dough ball and can catch as many as i want without disturbing them i usually use just a hook no lead or cork it gives a more natural fall

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    A net with a larger mesh will fall faster, all other things being equal.

8. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Here's a site to order a DVD on Cast nets if you're interesed...Sometimes it helps to have a little "one on one" teaching.... www.alltackle.com/cast_nets.htm

You can also do a google search on the subject of "Bait Cast Nets and DVDs" and come up with a lot of stuff, video's too....Hope this helps, Dwight

9. dharlow

dharlow New Member

State:
    al
    I bought one of the nets with the aluminum ring. I have NO problem throwing this net and having it open every time. They can be found at wallyworld. Just look for the bucket and the net with the ring.
    Secondly, when I look for bait in an area Im not familiar with, I look for the birds. If there are herons there are usually bait. Then I cruise along and watch closely for activity on top of the water. You can usually see them hitting the surface. If you see them, you can usually catch all you want.
    Im sure others will have much more helpful ideas, but this stuff works for me.

10. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Is it against the law to chum to bring the shad/herring to the net????Dwight

11. BamaRiverRat

BamaRiverRat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    It's illegal to catch bream with a cast net in AL, so be careful. The man in green will frown on that.