Bait catching

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by southpaw, May 6, 2007.

1. southpaw

southpaw New Member

State:
    alabama
    i know this is going to sound a little crazy but i trying to learn something.i have been hearing alot about skip jacks.i know that they are wonderful baits.the problem i am having isone i am limited to where i can go in my boat.plus i dont know where to find skips in my area where they live.what they like.then when i did find them i would not know what to use to catch them.i live 30 minutes from logan martin dam and can be on the lay lake side of childersburg in about the same time.can somebody please tell me how to find and catch skips?most of the time i use shad but the big shad are getting harder to find.please brothers if you can help me please do.i want to try some new baits and cant find them.
    thanks for taking the time to read this post.have a good day and may your lines always be hooked into a big cat.

2. southpaw

southpaw New Member

State:
    alabama
    thanks for the info.i am like you i wouldnt know one if it came up and slapped me on the face

3. YellaCat

YellaCat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Email sent. Hopefully it will help.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    You can use jigs or spoons to catch Skipjacks. There is a jig u can buy I dont know the link off the top of my head. Trying doing a search for it.

5. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Try a Silver rattle trap or minnows and a float around bridges hope this helps!

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    We find them in fast water below powerhouses, off the ends of rock dikes, cuts in dikes where the water is pouring through, and places like that. While many folks are happy using a sabiki rig, which is 5 or 6 very small jigs rigged in tandem, a lot of us prefer to use a couple of crappie jigs rigged in tandem. Start out shallow, with a fast retrieve. Adjust both as necessary till you start getting hits.