Bait catching rod Review: Berkley Cherrywood ultralite

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by FordTruckGuySTX, May 24, 2006.

1. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    My sorry excuse of a quantum ultralite broke yesterday, got a combo at bass pro for like 20 bucks. I could make a filing cabinet with my problems with quantum...now with my rant aside I'd like to inform you of a lovely well priced bream rod for your bait catching pleasure. I went to walmart and looked around at the ultralites for my bluegill excursion for the afternoon and after eliminating the $40 dollar and $35 dollar ugly stick light rods which i had planned on i decided upon a Berkley Cherrywood spinning rod, 5ft, ultralite, 1-6lb test rated. My only complaint is a mere 4 line guides but I decided to overlook it being #1, its a bluegill rod, and #2 it was a mere 18 dollars. I've had no issues from my Berkley 10ft Reflex or any of their other products. I am currently using it with the Quantum reel which after less than 30 hours on the water its already got a shot bearing and near dead drag. Luckily I just ordered an Abu Garcia Cardinal 600U to replace that pos. I had it spooled with 4lb line, slinging a ridiculously small fly-tying hook, two small splitshots and at some points a smaller thill float. Well with about 25 bluegill and one 1lb channel cat in the boat I must say this rod is excellent, given the reel henderence(sp?) It has loads of backbone for its size and i would guess to handle a 2-3lb fish with ease. On a few snags it proved its backbone further by staying strong until the line broke free. You can easily lift pansize bluegill into the boat without worrying about breaking off a tip from it. It could come close to my buddies 6'6" lightning rod and mitchell spinning reel in casting distance, and it also looks very nice, cool coloring and even looks more expensive with a nice cork handle set.

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at them down at the local walmart. bigcatman0816.

3. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Thanks for the info! My shakespeare microspin just broke, and those were one of the rods that I was looking at to replace it. I suppose I should try it out then, huh? Im sure it will make a good rod.

4. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    So far value wise it seems the way to go. I'll get a medium action cherrywood probably for my next pansize catfish rod.