Bait casting reels ???

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by vini, May 3, 2006.

1. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Is'nt there a bait casting reel thats got the same style of line realease as the closed faced reels?

What i'm talking about is where the thumb is used on the line release switch? rather then free spool?

I think what i'm talking about is called "thumb-bar spool release " looks like Bass fisherman use them not sure they have something in a larger size for us big gamers.

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    There are but they are Bass reels the Quantim IR3 is one.

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I have a lighter bait casting reel that has a button like a spincaster would, but it still operates like a baitcaster. Yuo still have to set the brake and the drag. It jsut allows one handle operation of the reel. It doesn't make it easier to use though. Baitcasters are great, but you need to take the time to learn them.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    a lot of the smaller Abu's have thum bar releases. Generally just the 5500 series. I think all of the 6000 series and up are button release.

5. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Walmart sells a 6600 which is very similar to the 6500C3's except that it has a thumb bar instead of a side release, an extra bearing, higher gear ratio... I think the C4 series has thumb releases...

6. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Thanks guys.

I did some research theres a few out there to choose from i'm going down to walmart and take a look and feel.

7. REED

REED New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi,

The Abu 6600CL Rocket. It is orange and I believe geared like the 6500 c4.

Reed
    No fear, No meaness, No envy.

8. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno

That looks good see if walmart has one today, thanks

9. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    Any Abu with a "6" as the second number has a thumb bar. So, the 6600C4 is one. Cabela's has a 6600CB which is basically a 6500C3 with a thumb bar. If you look at Catfish Connection under their "hot deals" section, they have the Abu 6600SSC3 for $54! That's a heck of a deal for what I have heard is a great reel.

10. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    thanks Ryan

I think all that has is a thumb bar though

11. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Its also called "Fast Cast" so I am assuming that means thumb bar release?

12. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Ok yep thats the one I got along with the big water ugly stick that was on sale for $29.95 thats a $50.00 rod I should be happy now:big_smile:

I called CC and she actually got the reel to make sure it was what I was wanting, good company!

13. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    The Okuma Induron,Pflueger Trion have the thumb bar release and both are under a 100.00.

14. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Shakespeare Prius is a good inexpensive baitcaster with the thumb release. It also has the magnetic anti-backlash. If you get it set right, you rarely have to use your thumb to stop the spool. I've got 3 that I use for channel cats, had them a couple 3 years and no problems so far. I think they were around $20 each.
    Rat

15. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Vince, this spring I was in walmart over in sporting goods an they had some reels marked down . They were Aubs 6600DS THEY WERE ORIGINALLY PRICED $99.00 EACH AND THEY WERE MARKED DOWN TO $25.00 each so I bought 2 of them they have the thumb bar and a bait clickerlook some what like a abu 6500 c3 but they have 4 balberings and a smart drag for better casting control cant tell you any more about them cause havent tried them out yet, but for $25.00 dident think I could go wrong. I also dont know if ABU is discontinuing the model or not. one other thing they are gold in color with gray handle and black bait clicker and lettering. hope this helps. Bigcatman0816.

16. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Welp 3 hours before heading out to fish last night I got a big package fro UPS the whole top of the box was broken in two, I told the UPS guy to hold on needed to make sure the pole was't broken and it was'nt told him it was because it was an Ugly Stick LoL he said thats a darn good pole.

ANyhow got the 6600 lined up and took the rig out and of course my first time casting was'nt to successful but I just tied a 2 oz weight on and practiced for 10 minutes and had it down until I tied the hooks on and that changed everything LoL. snapped off at least two set ups but finally got tha hang of that too.

No fish last night but i'll get the chance to hooks some biguns this summer the set up feels really good 7foot big game ugly with the ambasador 6600