bait casting fishing reel of choice for catfishing?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by kc river kid, Nov 25, 2008.

1. kc river kid

kc river kid New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    what is the bait casting reel of your choice? for catfish

2. kc river kid

kc river kid New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    and add pic if you can.:big_smile:

3. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Penn model 209 and Ambassedeur 6500C, 7000C are held in high esteem. They
    are basic round reels with good drags that are very durable. Easy to find
    parts for and well supported by old companies. Many anglers will
    accept nothing less and suspect any claims of another design being better.

4. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I have a terrible time casting my penn, but its a tough, low priced reel with a supper loud clicker. My abassedeur 5000 I can cast a long ways with no problems. Its a good reel but no clicker.

5. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have the ABU 6500's, 7000's and 9000's. All great reels just with different fish in mind when I use them.

6. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    6500-c hands down end of story:confused2:

7. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas

If he fishes the Mighty Mo then I would think bigger than a 6500.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yep thats half of it the other is current and sinker/bait size. imo 5oz plus bait is pushing the border for a 6000 size abu, so for targeting 40# and under with current that current that can easily be tamed by 5oz or less a 6000 size abu would be going with me. when the current is cooking and im after bigger fish a 320 sized penn or a pflueger contender g30 is a must. the two in bold are my go to choices they are the best in there class size/price. id probaly say pflueger trion 66 if i owned one but they cost a little more, so i dont yet own one. If i were to start my collection all over again it it would be all pfluegers reels and catfish safari rods!

9. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I have trion 66 and it is a sweet one to own. It is on a Fenwick HMX 7' 6" xfast tip( heavy action). With 30lb mono spooled it is a great set up.

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I use shamanos on my 5 tournament rods. But they are pricey, for the money you can't beat the abu's from the 6000 on up :cool2:.

11. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Well Said Brandon.

That is how I have my reels set up. My 6500's are my channel rods, which is means mainly lake and pond fishing. I do use them at times on the creeks and the big creek or I guess it is a river in some parts the Kaw. Then I have my 7000's set up for current and flathead fishing. The 9000's is set up for real nasty locations that needs extra attention. (nasty jams or places that I know is holding something real big). The rods are the same The 6500's are on the Catfish Safari Channel rods and the 7000's and 9000's are on the Flathead rods. I played around some with the Pflueger trion 66 but I did not like the spool release button. I guess it is just the way I hold the reel at times. I hit the button a few time when fighting a fish and they got off.

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I use the Shakespeare Tidewater with a 6.5 ft berkley Big Game 1 peice rod. Economical and it gets the job done.

13. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have a 7000 abu, a couple penns, and a shimano calcutta 400! My penns are alittle harder to cast but are workhorses. The 7000 abu I havent got to use yet but have used others and are very nice reels. I use the shimano for channelcat fishing and its my favorite baitcasting reel.

14. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
  15. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Keith Cabela's is out of the 7000's I was there Sunday night for the VIP party and they said that they do not know what the deal is with them. Might be something new coming in or it might go to order only.

16. kc river kid

kc river kid New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    well for x-mas im ging to get a pen 209 and 7000 iC3 with 2 king kat 8' foot rods thx guys. the rods are not the best, but good for the money.

17. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Bass Pro has them Dan, and theyll match Cabelas price. Thats where I got mine. :big_smile:

18. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Cool, the guy at Cabelas was sure a new one was coming out or it was going to be online order only. I will keep BPS in mind, I for get about them at times.