Bait caster Help

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by young catfisherman, Jun 22, 2006.

1. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    hey guys,
    need some help! this year i have really started getting into catfishing, and i have been useing my money for just fishing tackle, i have a ambasider fishing reel it is a bait caster. I just got it for 70.00$ it was on sale so had to get it, but i am not casting right because i keep geting tangles, what am i doing wrong is my thum to loose, if so how tight should i have it.
    THANKS please help

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    You need to get the brake set right. Read the manual. You'll want your lure to fall slowly and not drop like a rock. You need to use your thumb to stop the reel before it hits the water. Thats called backlash and you get a birdsnest from that. They are never fun. If you can try a practice plug in your back yard. Baitcasters are great but nobody figures them out right away. I'm sure more tips will follow mine.

Welcome to the BOC

3. young catfisherman

State:
    ohio
  4. young catfisherman

State:
    ohio
    mines like a one not for lures but for like boats drop downs and stuff like catfishin.

5. young catfisherman

State:
    ohio
    it came right of the show case i will have to take it back no manule!

6. young catfisherman

State:
    ohio
  7. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    What is the model number of your reel?

8. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    On the right hand side of the reel you should have a knurled know. This adds resistance to the spool. On the left hand side you should have an adjustment for the magnets which control spool speed and assist with backlash. What I normally do is hold the rod up, release the spool, do not thumb, and adjust the knob on the left side until the lure/weight drom to the floor, but the spool will only rotate one to two turns after contact. Use your thumb when casting to control the spool. As you use the reel you will become more comfortable.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Ambassadeur reels are pretty much the same. When your holding your rod with the but towards your belly, tip pointing away from you and the reel on the top, you will have your handle on the right side of the reel (unless your model ends in "1"). There is a large star wheeled gear which is used to adjust the drag of the reel when playing fish. Beneath that there is an approximate 1/2" knob with rough edges. This is your tension adjuster - the whole secret to fishing with these type reels is to set the tension properly. It does not matter if your throwing bass plugs, fishing for crappie, or for catfish. It has to be adjusted each time you change the weight on your pole...weather you add or delete lead, you make an adjustment. If you go to a large bait, you make an adjustment. Eventually your thumb becomes educated to the reel and can handle the adjustments by applying friction to the spool as it rotates. How do you set the tension...rig your pole just like your going to have it while fishing. hold the tip at about a 45 degree angle, and push the button/lever to release line. If the line runs off the reel fairly easily, and keeps running when your sinker/hook/bait hits the ground, the tension is too loose. Tighten the knob. If it don't spool off the reel, its too tight, loosen the knob. Just keep playing with the reel until you get it to where your weight slowly falls when the release is pressed. Other than that, practice, practice, practice, practice and practice a heck of a lot more.

10. young catfisherman

State:
    ohio
    i have a Ambassadeur 5000, thanks for the tips i really apreseat it.:cool2:

11. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    Lawrence,i hear you neighbor,that was good detail in your reply,i was having trouble putting it to words.

12. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Bro that no sale for a 5000 I bought mine at walmart for 40 but whatever.

I have the same real so I took some pictures of it and what you need to do.

Basically tie a weight on the end of the reel look for the mechanical break, tighten it all the way down then with the line spool disengaged loosen the break slowly until the weight falls to the ground with no backlashing. No you can cast it!! Cast it put your thumb light over the line spool just enought so it doesn't effec the cast to much but enought that it will stop combined with the break. Then you should be fishing!!!!

Josh

Attached Files:

13. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    check in the boc library they have a article about how to cast that new baitcaster is what its called and it helped me learn to cast my 6000.

14. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Like Gonefishing4kitties said that aint no sale right there for $70 not for a 5000 anyway u could have bought a brand new not on sale 6500. or at least a 6000.

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Contact abugarcia@purefishing.com and explain.They may be able to help with All the missing paperwork and warranty.Make sure to tell them your age,as it may help.Please let us all know how you make out.We are learning too.peewee-williams

16. deanc

deanc New Member

State:
    GA
    Glad to see you interested in catfishun. Explaining the correct way to adjust a baitcaster and how to cast it is almost impossible by writing. I would recommend going to a fishing pier and looking for someone with a baitcaster. I would bet they would be willing help you, if you asked politely. Might be your best bet. Let us know if you get some help.

17. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I guess he got t figured out. he has posted about it for a while. He must be practicing or fishing with it.

18. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have found out it takes practice and a lot of adjusting. Something that helped me was taking some line off the spool , even though I had what was reccomended, less helped me. Also line choice will affect it I have a tidewater that I have not figured out yet.

19. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    You Can Download Your Manual From The Manufactures Website. I see You Have A Gun, You Can Do The Same With Those Also. HTH, Elliot

20. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    You got plenty of good advice here. It did not come to me over night either and I had to pay my dues of "blood sweat and tears". Once you learn though, you will get a lot of pleasure from every cast and be glad that you learned to do it! The only other thing I can add, is to start out with the largest weight your rod is rated for, maybe a ounce above. More weight is easier to cast and then little by little, decrease the weight as your skill improve's.