Bait cannon

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by Creteus, May 18, 2006.

1. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Been thinking of a way to get my bait out further and everyone knows that a 4oz. weight and a 12in. lady fish can't be casted very far. So my idea was to make a hugh sling shot out of a waterballoon slingshot to launch the bait. Anyone ever tried this? It'll send a balloon 100 yards so why not a bait fish. Give me your views on this if you will. And if anyone has tried it let me know.

2. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Matt, be careful , if you get an over-run or as a redneck would say,a backlash in your reel, you could have big trouble, you could have more time trying to fix reels than fishing........:embarassed: :lol: .........

3. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I don't know how the sun in your world comes up or if the wind ever blows in your face, but there are a couple things in your post that, in my world, would only spell misery and pain for me. If I ever tried anything even remotely close to what you have illustrated I would call in advance and reserve a room at the local hospital. You used the word slingshot, weight and lady fish in the same paragraph and that can only be a shortcut to a world of hurt for me, can you say ambulance? Ask me about brazing a gas tank some time, got good advice from and "old timer" and it sure sounded like it should of worked..... it didn't. I would stay with the old fashion way, it hurts less and are you really going to catch more fish with more distance?

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    What are you casting with?On the James I've seen 8oz weights with most of a monster shad cast a mile.Also in the surf and from piers.Perhaps you might need to upgrade.If you do it you might consider switching to a large spinning reel outfit because as Dragger said any overrun could be VERY bad.:smile2:

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    How about those pumpkin throwers I see on TV, having those contests? Build one at half, maybe even quarter scale, and throw your bait & sinker almost out of sight. As Jim said, you'd probably have to switch to a spinning reel; and for a spinning reel that holds that much line, the Alvey immediately comes to mind.
    Having one of those things handy when impolite boaters intrude on your fishing spot sounds handy, too. I bet a pound or so of marble sized gravel would run 'em off pretty quick.

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Hmm...sounds a bit more dangerous than practical. I could imagine a pretty long list of things that could go wrong.

7. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have a potato gun that could be modified to shoot some chum... BLOODY FISH GUTS, PVC CANNON, PROPANE, EXPLOSIONS!!!! WHAT COULD BE BETTER? (And I shall hold the world hostager for ONE MILLION DOLLARS)

Aaron (Secret Evil Genius)

TA2D

"If it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight-Dial 1-800-MARINES!"

8. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Yes distance is important when surf fishing. You got to get past the sand bar.

9. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I have a ten foot heavy rod with an opus 6000 spinning reel with 240 yards of 25 # on board. The only way it could be dangerous is if someone stood in the line of fire. Seeing that we will be in the surf and launching at 45 degrees someone would have to be a high jumping dolfin or a complete moron that deserves to get smacked in the head with a bloody fish. As long as my lines tight when we let got the line should follow just like a cast.

10. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Just get a 15' rod, medium/heavy with a slow action (taper) tip. That'll let you throw more weight for further distance. Check out the World Long Distance Casting Competition - it should be on the web. That might give you some ideas. Forget about the slingshot.:smile2:

11. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I think they were refering to things like:

the line get tangled and instead of flying 100 yards it flies 10 feet catches and slings back hooking someone, or getting hit with a weight. I can tell you I once casted a small weight prolly like 1/2 ounce or smaller, my line locked up the weight came back slapped me about 2 inches under the eye socket and left a bruise. I would ahve been blind im sure if it had hit me in the eye.

Then you got stuff like too much momentum top fast causes your bait to shred.

It requires 3 people.

I agree I think that there isnt really a safe way/reliable way to do it. And prolly no practical or worth the effort.

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I think Im the first to say it, go for it! why not ? let me know if you get it to work& how far.:boss: :that_hurt:

13. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I think I'll try it anyways. Going to build a frame out of conduit to hold the rubbers so it'll only take one person to pull back on it. If the reel slams shut with that much force and 2 pounds of bait on the hook I'm thinking and only thinking that the line would probably break. Just an opinion.:tounge_out:

14. bronco67

bronco67 New Member

State:
    nc
    I like it why not but before you try it you have to say hey yall watch this . I think it will work and if it does not the inertia from the weight and fish will more than likely snap the line . necessity is the mother of invention , let us all know if it works . :smile2:

15. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Check out Catapaults (spell?) under Carp Fishing. They sell items like your talking about. Looks like hand held slingshot. Surpisingly they can get alot of distance.
    IF i can find the site I will post it.
    thanks
    Larry

16. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    That sounds like some fun. I'll have to test that out sometime.

17. CAT ADDICT

CAT ADDICT New Member

State:
    Ohio
    HOw about tying your line to a big ole' bottle rocket:big_smile:

18. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    If you truly want to get your bait out further than you can cast it you need to get a kayak and paddle it out.

19. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    You could try a modified potato-cannon.
    Something like this -> http://www.spudtech.com/detail.asp?id=30
    Probably take some experimenting to find a way to load it so launches your bait right without tangling or other problems. Probably a good idea to wear safetly glasses just incase!

The slingshot would probably work solo if you could anchor it somehow.

A modified crossbow might work too.

20. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've seen stories of people using remote control boats. Run the bait out release it and drive it back.