bait bucket

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by unclebobo, Jan 25, 2008.

1. unclebobo

unclebobo New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have a question i was hoping to get some help with.A guy I work with said he uses a 2 gallon bucket with an aerator to keep bluegill.He said he catches 3 or 4 small ones in his pond then puts them in the bucket for the next day to use on the river.My question is this is a 2 gallon bucket big enough to keep 3-4 bluegill alive?To me it seems that it would be to small,I was just wondering what you guys thought about this.Thanks

2. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    :big_smile:I use a five gallon bucket and I bet I put around twenty or so in. I have never had a problem. You have to make sure you change the water a few time. I bought some drops from a pet store that makes tap water sutable for fish. You can also buy a pump with a filter on it, that will help too.

3. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    what goin fishin said is correct.......you can load up a 5 gallon bucket w/ gills.....just use a cheap bubble box from walmart- or two if you really load up the bait........and make sure to keep the water cool. A 20 oz frozen pop bottle works good for this, and try to keep your bucket covered before you go fishing......your bait can jump outta the bucket....lol

4. unclebobo

unclebobo New Member

State:
    missouri
    i thought a 5 gallon bucket would be better,also how much water should be put in the bucket?Also how often should the water be change?Guys i appreciate all the advice thanks alot!!!

5. mixrdrivr113

mixrdrivr113 New Member

State:
    Bay, Mo
    hi unclebobo as to ur question bout a bait bucket i got a 55 gallon plastic barrel and cut it just below the halve way point and got a airater,works great for bait,lots of room i usally use shad so when i leave to got get them i dip some water in and put a frozen 2liter bottle in it to keep the temp down,i can keep shad alive in it for 5 or 6 hours depending on how many i get, and it also makes for a good live well and or transportion bucket when moving from place to place for to keep any fish i have already caught just a thought

6. sarg

sarg New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use a five gallon bucket w/a chep areator from wm
    and ice last all day

7. Drjets

Drjets New Member

State:
    ND
    What's the differance between cut bait and live bait?

8. catfishsolich

catfishsolich New Member

State:
    kentucky,metcalfe county
    i took one 5 gal bucket and cut random slits in the bittom and sides. when i catch bait i put it in another bucket and when i get to the lake i slide out the top bucket and toss it in the water so the bait is always getting a fresh water supply.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Terms I heard and used for over 55 years.Live bait=whole live fish,craw fish,worm,etc.Dead bait= whole but dead bait.Cut Bait=pieces of bait which have been cut from whole bait,usually but not limited to being a species of fish.Folks in different places can and often do call these things by different names.Fish,Eel,bird,chicken,worm,steak,cheese,clam,animal organs along with a human finger tip or any road kill cut into pieces can be and has been called cut bait in my presence.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee.

10. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    This about sums it up.