Bait Bucket with Built in Aerator

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by the_nis, Jan 23, 2006.

1. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Has anyone ever used a bait bucket with a built in aerator? I have seen two different kinds. One is sold by catfishconnection.com(not sure who makes it) and the other one is made by Frabill...Kinda pricy but a pretty good idea IMO.

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    my freind owned one of those that was light blue colored and the bubble maker was on the bottom of the bucket. it worked good but with the bait we were taking (4 doz 4-5 inch sunfish) it just wouldnt cut it. i used to own one of those buckets that had an areator that was pole shaped and went through the lid. think its called a "bait-saver aireator". JUNK! had 2 burn up on me!

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jason, I got one from walmart, I think. It was a lid for a 5 gal. bucket, and the aerator mounts on the outside. Battery operated, a little noisy, but it works really well for the size. I've kept maybe a dozen or so 4-6" white perch in it all night long with no problem.

4. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    The light blue ones that you are speaking of are the ones that catfish connection sell, I think. I am looking to only keep about a dozen or two of bluegill in it. Do think it would support that amount of fish? Was the bucket constructed well?

Thanks!

5. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    i also used to own one of those bait savers the one that looked like a small trash can with the aerator going threw the lid, and mine also screwed up on me motor burned up and thats all she wrote. Ive seen those buckets with the built in aerators way....to much for them ive been seeing them running around $60 bucks. i can go to walmart buy a plain ole bucket for a couple bucks get me a aerator for a couple more bucks drill a hole in the middle of th e lid to the bucket for the hose cut a slot around the rim of the bucket on the lid so that i can hang my pump on it and im set to go ive keep gills alive for a day or two in my set up

6. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    i just got a lid for a 5 gallon bucket and cut a slot on the edge big enough to hang the 5.97 walmart areator on and run the hose next to it. i also cut a slot in the middle of the lid where i can drop the gills in without removing the lid every time i catch one. just make that slot about 1 inch wide and 4 inches long so the gills don't jump out. i can use any 5 gallon bucket and it keeps 3 dozen gills all day.

7. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I've used about every type, made, none last long. bubble up mr bubbles, or something like that, get a cooler the size you want, drill a hole in lideput lines,
    down through lid and screw, areator, on top of lide, and you can go the rout of, putting a outside pump on cooler, and route the water back on top edge of cooler below the lid, will need a filter, of some kind to keep some of trash out of , pump , look at fish tank, filters.
    hope this helps or gives some ideas.

8. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
  9. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i just looked at cc for those buckets and yes that is the one. $55 dollars though, WHEW! that is a little steep! like a previous post stated, i'd just get a 5 gallon bucket and get an airator for it. you can go to burger king and get 5 gallon buckets/lids all day long for free. but just to let you know it was built very well, however the bad things about it were the inside was lined with styro so there isnt much room at all, and the airator didnt put out enough for my liking. it would be cool for a doz-doz 1/2 gills or a bunch of crappie minnows but i wouldnt recomend it for a catfisherman. take a look at the "big bubbles" airator. i have one and it works great for up to 3 doz gills.

10. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    I've tried a bunch of different models of aerators for buckets over the years, and the best one I've ever used (and still use) is called the Mino-Mizer. It floats on top of the water and sprays out a fine mist that adds oxygen to the water and also cools it down, which is great for those hot summer days.
    The first time I used it and saw it run, I thought I had just wasted about $28, but it turned out to be everything I wanted in an aerator. 2 years ago I had it full of goldfish all day and overnight into the next morning in 100+ degree heat. I figured all the goldfish would be belly up by then, but every last one of them was not only alive but lively too.
    It runs off a 6 volt lantern battery, and also has a 110 volt adapter. I hang two cup holders like you'd hang from the window of your vehicle on opposite sides of the bucket to hold two 6 volt batteries to keep the weight balanced and also to have a new battery on hand. But one battery will last you most of a season. Catfish Connection carries them also.
    Rat

11. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Thanks guys for the quick responses!

Yeah I think I'm gonna stick to the old two dollar 5 gallon bucket that I've been using. I do need to get another aerator though. I had a mr. bubbles and a double bubble. The mr. bubbles died after a few uses and the double bubble works when it wants to.