Bait Bucket Question

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Spider, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Today I put to gether a bait bucket with a cheap foam liner and lid to fit a 5 gallon bucket. It holds about 10 or 11 quarts of water. Do you think this will be enough room for maybe a dozen 3"-4" sunnies?

2. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Went to Kearcher Creek today and caught 6 sunnies and they held up well in the bucket with plenty of room. The only thing that wonders me is the water. I filled the bucket at the lake ad the water was about as clean as can be expected from a lake. Several hours later is was cruddy with dirt and what looked like mossy green crap. I'm wondering if all the junk in the lake gets in the fish and it was flushed out in clearer water and with the air bubbles? after about 6 hours, I took them down the street and dumped them in the creek. They are at home with the minnows and little smallmouth now.

3. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    For future reference...

I bought a cheap $5 plastic bait bucket the other day to put my gills in that I caught. It's at most 2 gallons. I had 9 gills in there all night with no problems.

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i have a plastic 11qt minnow bucket, and i normally hold 20+ sunnies for several hours with a bubbler runnin, and my sunnies are 4-7 inch, when i take 25 or more then i take my 5 gal. bucket. so 11 qt. for a dozen will be plenty of room, last nite i had about 25 sunnies in my 11 qt. with no problems, if ya ever get any floaters in your bucket make sure you remove them asap or the rest will start to die

5. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i also have a 11 quart bucket and i have had 20 gills in it

6. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I've had 30+ in my 5 gal. bucket, that green stuff is crap the sunnies throw up Larry they do it every time I've got corn ,pieces of mister twisters all kinds of junk.Walmart has aerators for 8 bucks battery operated also ac powered for around the same price but then you need a power inverter save ya batteries until you need them:wink:

7. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    5 gal. bucket should with no trouble..:wink:

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

A dozen or under,I use a 12 qt baitbucket with aeration.12-30,I use my 5 gal bait bucket with a fishsaver aerator,it moves a lot of water(350gpg).:wink:

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

With a good aerator, it should be fine.

10. Bigfish4me

Bigfish4me New Member

State:
    Conshy Pa
    Had about a dozen big chubs and a few suckers in a 5 gallon bucket with an aerator......they stayed frisky enough to continually jump out of a 1/3 filled bucket until they were all gone.

11. campincatfish

campincatfish New Member

State:
    PA
    HOw long can you keep bluegills alive in a bucket with an airator?