Bait bucket quality

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by mailhiker, Feb 23, 2007.

1. mailhiker

mailhiker New Member

State:
    KY
    MTD5GMETAL TECH DESIGNS 5 GALLON BUCKET INSERT$17.95
    Has anyone used these? I was considering purchasing one. The bucket I use know is for shiner minnows, Doesn't hold many 'gills. Plus I can save aerator batteries by putting it in the lake or river. I was just wondering about quality of constructio, etc. They are a Catfish Connection.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Save your money and build one yourself.I did a few months ago and can't wait to try it out.They are easy and don't take long to make.I made mine with hardware cloth I got from lowe's(same stuff as Sam's bluegill trap) and it fits in my 5 gallon bucket.I'll try to get a picture on in a few.

3. mailhiker

mailhiker New Member

State:
    KY
    Waitin on that pic, man!

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Ok,here are a cpl pics.This is the smaller one.I'm making a bigger one to hold bigger bait.All I do is put my bait in the holder and drop it in the 5 gallon bucket.When I get to my spot,I throw the holder out in the water and tie it off.It works Great!!!

bait bucket 001.jpg

bait bucket 002.jpg

These pics aren't too good but I think you'll get the idea.

5. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Looks like it should really work. Hope you get a chance to get out and use it. Let us know how it works.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thank You!
    It does work real well.Me and a buddy of mine made one last year that was a lot bigger.We could keep several dozen bluegill,crappie,goldfish or whatever in it for weeks.I wanted to make a couple smaller ones so they can be used in 5 gal buckets to transport.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    John thats a great Idea. I need to make one of those. If you have any measurements for the 5-gal size please post. :big_smile:

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'll have 2 that will fit in a 5 gallon bucket.1 though may be a little taller but diameter will fit easily.
    smaller one(the picture)-- length-15" diameter-7" circumference is 22"

one I'm finishing up-- length-24" diameter-9" circumference is 28"

You can make them whatever size fits your needs best.The one I made last year was a lot bigger than these 2.

Let me know what you come up with!!!

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Here is a pic of both of them.I still have to put a door in the big one and get some rope for both of them.

bait bucket1 003.jpg

bait bucket1 004.jpg

The good thing about these is the sky is the limit.You can make them however they suit your needs.Their good for keeping turtles and snakes out of your bait and you can also use them to chum an area.

10. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I just took two 5gal buckets and drilled lots of wholes in one on bottom & sides. I cut out a door whole in the top and made a wire door added a hing & small lock hasp. I keep it in the bottom bucket for transporting bait and if need be can put it in the lake or river. Cost 2 free buckets and around $5 for hardware.

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats a pretty good idea there too.I can make 2 or so of these for about $10-12.

12. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Catfishjohn a friend of mine son works at a fast food place in town and he gets 5gal pickle buckets all the time. I asked him if he could get me one and one day he showed up at my house with about 10-11 buckets and dropped them off. I didn't know what to do with them all heck I only needed one. So one day I came up with the idea and made a bait bucket. After my friend and his son seen it they both wanted one made,so I've made 3 so far now my brother wants one.

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats pretty cool how the ol mind works.That is a really good idea you have.I have an extra 5gal bucket I think I'll make one also.Thanks for the idea Bro!

14. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
  15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    The smaller one I made(and the bigger one will partly) fit in a 5 gallon bucket.It makes it easier to transport live bait and saves $ on aerators.
    You can make them even bigger to hold as much bait as you want.

16. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I think I'll get another roll of the wire and make another 1 or 2.When I get one done,I'll see if the mods will let me donate it for a giveaway.:wink: There are still a couple little things I want to do to make them a little better.
    Thanks and I'm glad some of you like the idea. :smile2:

17. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    If anybody has any ideas for me to add to my design,i'm open for all suggestions to make it better.Also,I'll be using the small cable ties to tie it together better and maybe a minnow trap clip for the latch on the door.Depends on how much.
    I'll be making one soon and watch for a giveaway coming in the future!!! :eek:oooh: :cool2: :big_smile:

18. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mike

You have obviously received some great advice on the other posts. But to respond to your question. I have the bait bucket insert you are talking about from Catfish Connection for almost 2 years now. Works fine and no problem with the quality.

19. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Right off the top of anyones head,any idea the depth from top to bottom and inside diameter of a 5gal bucket? My back/neck is shot right now and don't feel like walkin all the way to the building to measure.
    Thank You if anyone knows.I'm getting the math done for the one to fit inside a 5 gallon bucket to maybe donate for a giveaway...:wink:

20. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thats really a great idea john!!!!!!!! it should be in the library for sure. im all over this one when i get the chance. rep points your way bud :wink:

13.5 in. deep 10 in. diameter inside at bottom of this bucket.