Bait Boats - get your bait out where the BIG Catfish are lurking

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Deltalover, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    In a earlier post we were talking about bait boats, but at the time I couldnt get to the pics. The first picture is of commercialy made "Bait Shuttle"! The other pics are of Niko boats that were customized by taking out the servos and mounting outriggers for retreival and electric motor control of the unit and the other for taking out your bait and bait release. You steer using both out riggers which are conected to two rods.The bait shuttle works fine for getting out a couple oz's and a live mudsucker out 300 yards! The drawbacks you need 4 d batteries every fishing trip and it cant handel a bunch of current! The Customized boats can carry quite a bit more weight 4 or 5 oz and maybe more depending on model you choose. You can buy these boats for under a hundred and make the outriggers cheaply. You can charge them from your car battery. I have my eye on a full displacement work boat that I want to convert to a bait boat! Some times out at the place we use these boats, there will be maybe 10 boats out and it like a miniture harbor! Everytime I go out there someone has tricked there baitboat out a little more!
    It,s fun and a lot cheaper then the 700 to a 1000 dollar and up, units popular in the U.K.

Attached Files:

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Other pics, sorry cant get the others to work. If I reduce the sizes any more you wont be abel to see it any way!

3. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Super braids are a must for 300 yards out!

Attached Files:

4. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    i would also really like to hear about and see some photos on how you go about makein a homemade bait boat. been lookin for one around here at the toy stores that i can convert into a bait boat seen one at wally world for 79 bucks its a ski type boat has a deck on the back was thinkin i might rip all the junk off it and take a big piece of pvc pipe about 4 inches long add some caps on each end and cut it into smooth the sides off and screw it to the little deck on the back of the boat. that way i could set my bait/weight into the half piece of pvc drive the boat out and pull my line off what do you think?

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Tim's right a good article for the library showing how you use one Phil. Would be a great addition to the library. Thanks for sharing.

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Hey james if you have an rc hobby shop near by, check them out. Or you can go to a magazine store and find an rc boat magazine. A good set up would cost a little more than 79 dollars, but will have alot more power and range, would also handle rougher water and carry more weight, also a rechargeable 6 cell battery for the boat. A little more investment would reap alot more rewards, no need for 1000.00 boat , about 200.00 dollars would get a decent combo, plus another hobby, fast rc boats. I am mostly into nitro trucks right now but have had a few rc boats.

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I was wondering about remote controlled hovercraft, would they work?

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    The conversion is pretty simple. You can make the out riggers from allumunum
    tubing with a bait release clip that you use for normal trolling, a couple of small l shaped brackets so the outrigger can piviot up and down. For the other out rigger you add brass tubbing split in half for the switch! The barrel of a swivil is the contac! You epoxy a eye ring at the bow for retrieval with a short line to the swivil/contac. I have seen a 4 inch longx 1-1/2 wide pvc pipe with split in half for a bait holder as well as bottom opening bins. With my boat you can just tow the live bait out, but the custom boats will get up on plane which is a little fast to be dragging your bait! I been trying to figure a way to start the boat out slow and increase the speed with out a servo, maybe some tipe of spring release on the throttle. You also need to make something out of wire screen to protec the prop. I will do a complete artical for the library soon!

9. GS-Rock

GS-Rock New Member

State:
    FORT SILL, OK
    when you post it in the library i will be sure to check it out, and thats a good idea about a bate boat, on windy days you cant cast very far

10. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Tdawgnok, yes they do make hovercraft. You would want a radio control not remote control. Remote control are toys, can't upgrade or buy replacement parts. Radio control you can upgrade, buy replacement parts and have range of more than a quarter mile. A radio control hovercraft would be pretty pricey though. But if money is no oblect heck get a Dumas 52 inch rc boat with a .90 nitro motor and after you drop the bait you can tear back to shore at 60+ miles per hour:)

11. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    None of us use remote or radio to control the boats. The whole idea of these is you use a rod and reel to bring it back in. Something goes wrong with the radio or the servo in remote boats and you are out of your money and time!

12. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Deltalover, just overing some of my experience in the rc field and the use of rc boats. And someone did ask about rc hover craft. If a bait boat costs 79 dollars then that is too much. I have never had a quality rc servo fail me in the rc plane, boat or airplane. Plus a rc boat would get the bait out quicker and back in quicker, and not cost to terribly much more.

13. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    From my research, the cheaper (under a hundred) r/c boats have a range of 100 feet. If you can find a remote control boat that will go 300 yards quickly with emergency back-up incase tide pushes boat out of range, for under a hundred bucks, I will take 10 of them!

14. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Traxxas has a nitro boat with electric drive for backup but costs alot more than that. I was wondering you talked about having a servo fail but what haapens if your line that you use to get the bait boat back breaks or gets tangled. Nd yes a radio controlled boat will go 300 yards, but not at that price. You can go on tower hobbies website and see some of the boats they carry, you could even get a bare hull and build it the way you want with radio control.

15. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Pro bass a had a pix of one in there Dec. issue. There was no price given.
    Bill

16. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    The radio controll boats are pretty nice and are really popular in the U.K. I see nothing wrong with them except you are talking about 700 bucks and up. You can buy those commercially, but you have to change all the gear cause the frequencies are different! The average cost of these (line controlled) boats is about 80 bucks and you can customise it for 30 bucks or so! The one that I want cost 160 and I will put about 50 bucks into it! Of the 10 or so people I know that have them none have broke the 50 pound power-pro thats used for retreival, though I did have a snap swivil come back sprung open which I changed out to one rated to 80 pounds! One other point I would like to make is that at this fishing spot, it,s kind of a club of guy's that share information about tricking there boats out with the outriggers and stuff and help each other out! The remote control guys are a different club that enjoy there hobby just as much! Each has it's disadvantages and it's advantage's! I am sure the Library could use an artical on the remote controlled bait boats as well as the one I will do one on the line-controlled bait boat!