Bait Boats For Livebait Drops

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catfishrollo, Mar 20, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I put a thread up last year asking about bait boats. I got many different insights back then on what to buy. I however did not purchase one. Now, I have decided that I am gonna buy one. However, I would like the latest info. on what I should buy etc. I want something that can run my livebaits out 75 to 100 yrds. And would like to know about the release systems as well. The boat I have in mind has to have a good battery life for long nights of fishing , and hopefully will be durable enough to last a few good seasons. I will be primarily using this to run livebaits out when bankfishing lakes for flatheads. Any help or information is greatly appreciated... rollo

2. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    It would be nice if u could set it up to release your bait at a certain depth or just after a drop off.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I mainly run slip-floats so they will have to be able to pull some drag with a float, egg sinker, and bait. rollo

4. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Get ya one of them tonka dumptrucks attached to a normal boat and use the dump and just dump everything over or something like that.

Just brainstorming is all this really has my mine going as it is something I have always wanted to try just never have.

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Interesting project Jason,
    Delivering a live bait over that distance presents a few challenges, or as I like to call them, opportunities to succeed!
    Something to think about is that unless you nose hook the bait it may well suffocate being towed backward for that distance. Something based on the Tonka truck idea may be a solution to that.
    Another is that at such distance with a slip float rig, a fish could do a lot with the bait that may not show as a bite. Maybe consider a tethered float rig/floating slip rig or a helicopter rig.
    As for the actual boat, do not take any cash or plastic to the hobby store for the first few visits; those places are dangerous:roll_eyes::wink:
    ...W

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Jason, get ahold of BaitBoat (Reagan). He built his own remote control boat to run baits on a slip float up into the locks at the dams in Arkansas so I know it will go 100 yards. He can give you some good ideas. Me and Sam may take him to Oklahoma this summer and see if it will reach the longer limits there.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Don't know anything about them, but aren't there fishfinders that you can attach to your float, cast out, and read the bottom from shore? Attach one of those to the baitboat, read the bottom, and when you go over a dropoff, release your bait.
    I do know that some of the baitboats used for carp fishing in the UK have multiple hoppers for your bait, chum, etc. The remote has buttons to dump any particular hopper whenever you want, much like a dump truck.

8. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I went to a seminar a few months ago and the guy does that exact same thing he just had a 1 liter bottle with the top cut off so the opening was wider it was set in the boat at an angle and he just drove the boat out until the bait was were he wanted it and just turned the handle and the whole rig just slides out right were he wants it that is pretty cool stuff.

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i have seen guys use plain ol toy boats for this. you put a rubber band around the entire boat. when you get out where you want to be yank it from under the rubber band. with larger live baits you probably want a more secure bait holder, cant see it working with #+carp or drum though? lol

when i want to toss a live gill across the river i just hook it deep in the forehead, it will stay on. always wanted to try those saltwater rigs that you thread through the baits eyes then around the hook. dont think you could cast those off very easy either.

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Just buy a kayak and go drop them yourself. That to me would be the simplest thing to do. That's what my buddy uses to drop his shark baits 100-300yds off the beach. That and you can use it for other stuff and I would assume that it would be probably about the same cost as some expensive remote control thing.

11. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I've been thinking about building a bait boat for quite some time, just never found the time to get to it. I was thinking along the lines of a down rigger release to drop the bait, just get it where you want, and give it a tug.
    For the boat I was thinking about carving a chunk of Styrofoam to the shape I want, and hollow out an area for the battery, and electronics. A trolling motor could be used for power, and a servo could control a rudder, and speed.
    The little wireless depth finders are a cool idea too. The possibilities are endless.
    I got lots of ideas, but not enough gumption to get started. :roll_eyes::smile2:

12. shooter06

shooter06 New Member

State:
    Central Missouri
  13. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    this is what i plan to do alot this year. i got the idea from a shark fishing site(ncsharkfishing.com), i'm going down to obx this summer for vacation and plan on to shark fish from the beach and thats where i read about it. if it works for that then why not for catfish...by the way can't wait to hook in to one of those big bastard's..will put pics up if i do...lol...justin:cool2: