bait boat

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by catfishcrazyjr, Oct 5, 2005.

1. catfishcrazyjr

catfishcrazyjr New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I just made a new bait boat for myself after using one below keystone dam, i am going to try and go out to El Reno sunday and use it to get some good bait out on the old road bed and get some big ol flat's, at keystone we where getting are bait out 200 yards

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Silly question, What's a bait boat?

Do ya have a pic?

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    What did you use to make it? Is it radio controlled?

4. Tellico00

Tellico00 New Member

State:
    Collierville, T
    I'm with Tony, what is a bait boat? How does it work? What does it replace?

Stupid questions I'm sure but just the type I am know for. <grin>

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Baitboats are designed to carry your bait out beyond casting distance. There are lots of different types of bait boats. European carp fishermen use smaller ones to carry their bait out in calm water, which is probably where the whole idea started. I would guess that there are catfishermen in this country who use baitboats the same way, but all I've seen were large ones designed to carry bait out below dams and powerhouses. For instance, a trolling motor mounted on a 3'x5' piece of styrofoam with a radio controlled rudder for steering.

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    We use to use them below truman dam to get our bait rite up to the dam. Man you could hammer the big cats. They outlawed them several years ago though here.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Spoonfish, you don't know of anybody up there who has a baitboat up there who wants to get rid of it, do you?

8. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Don Simpson, a former member, made one to use below Keystone.
    Here's a picture attached of what it looks like:

Attached Files:

9. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    so, catfishcrazyjr, how did it work? i would like to build one myself - you have pics?

10. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    That looks like something I could build. Any ideas?

11. catfishcrazyjr

State:
    oklahoma
    aint went yet and i will take a few pics tonight, i got about 80$ in mine $25 batt, $25 trolling motor and $30 or so misc. mine is made from solar 3 panels that are 3 in. thick(meat locker walls) they are very costly but my wife works there so i get 4*8 sheet that are damaged for free and you only need 2*3, and 1 foot thick styrofoam for pontoones so if any okies like it and need some panels to make one just let me know and we can get together and get ya one for free

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    A couple of years ago, I checked at the local hobby shop, and was told that the basic R/C equipment for a baitboat would run me about $65-$75. Adding bells and whistles, such as an R/C bait dumper would run the price up.

13. okie_kat

okie_kat New Member

State:
    Eufaula, Ok
    I would like a panel if it can be arranged. I all ready have a spare trolling motor.

14. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Sorry Jtrew. just seen your post. I don't know if any one still have one or not. I will keep my eyes out and ask some people that I knew had one.

15. catfishcrazyjr

State:
    oklahoma
    no problem just give me a call 405-420-8385 where do you live?

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I live in Little Rock. We're having a gathering next month near Conway (Toadsuck). I'll give you a call. When is the best time?

17. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I sure would like to see one of those bait boats. need some ideas,pictures,schematics and any other help on how to build. :confused: