Bait Boat is Hurting pretty bad

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by Big Sam, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Well i had to run errands at Ft. Smith yesterday evening and decided to check the water level in person at Barling Dam and get skip update:crazy: Well ol'e Bait Boat was slumped in his portable bag chair taking a nap in the heat:lol: { could be issues here} He had his snagging pole at his side and woke up pointing to a Big spoon he snagged earlier and gave away to some needy folks. We discussed the flow of the river as we watched it rise!!:lol: The flood gates were almost all the way up:tounge_out: no generators running and logs everywhere. He looked at me and said " Well i may never get to run my remote control boat in the locks again":tounge_out:" and my trees are full of catalpa worms too!!! At that point he sat back down:lol: We shot the breeze for a little while and decided to leave. He was going home to pick catalpa worms and freeze them since he can't fish:crazy: He is hurting pretty bad boy's I am worried about his state of mind!:crazy:

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    The river current is to strong, the catfish must be on the spawn, because Shep and his wife fished for about 6 to 8 hours yesterday [ 13 June 07 ] no bite at all!! He just had to call me with the news! Now I am really depressed! All kidding aside, thanks for the update Shep. When will the flow ease?

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Hang in there bait boat it's bound to start dropping before to long:tounge_out:. Keep them catalpa worms at the ready, Maybe by the time it drops the blues will be coming off the nest. You need to pry yourself away from the dam for awhile before the depression sets in to deep:lol:. Take them worms and hit some back water and some current breaks, Should be able to catch enough 2 and 3 lber's. to lift your spirits a little:wink:.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    It's gotta drop! That's what I kept telling myself. Then I saw it dropping. And dropping. Got all the way down to about double the max where I'm comfortable fishing the river, and it went back up. It's gotta come back down, right? Well, it finally did, to about double the max where I'm comfortable...blah, blah, blah. Back up to double that. I'm starting to get a bad feeling that when the river does finally go down, it's going all the way to no current flow at all. And everybody that fishes the Arkansas knows that current is the key to catching fish here.

5. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    Well Big Sam was right about sound to sleep . Caught a spoon
    on my 2nd throw. Nothing like a good nap on the river.
    I really like talking to Big Sam can't wait to take him big cork
    fishing. Please shut flood gates.

6. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I fish the river a lot when a can. but this year not at all. I think now it will be about July when the elbow dripper days are here the river will slow down to where we can fish it. I have the fever too. bait boat not the only one for sure. Big Sam We all need to get a boat load of fish.:sad2:

7. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Well kansas and ne oklahoma are gonna get more rain boy's:lol: Nothing like a little good news to lift a guy's spirits:crazy: Hang tough jtrew and the gang it should be slowed down by AUGUST or DECEMBER:crazy:

8. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Thanks big sam for the great news. That was all I need to hear.:angry::angry::angry:

9. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Look on the bright side..... with all the rain, they may have to shut the gates to keep the already swollen rivers from crashing over their banks.

Sounds silly, but that's what they had to do here this morning. The river got up so high with all the rains that they had to shut the gates. Kinda ticks me off, because we have pretty good fishing when the gates are open. Poop.

:angry:

10. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Just got word that a 98lb blue cat was taken on rod and reel with 30lb test down at the river between scranton and clarksville. Supposed to be some pictures on the way. Man i fish there all the time:lol: one of these days....:lol:

11. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    He got washed out of my best gate .
    That would be a real gun fight.
    Can't wait to see pics.

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Sam he probably got washed out of our hole along with all the weeds:lol:. He!! is it time to panic yet:lol:.

13. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    Just got a call flood gates wide open

14. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    and its still raining. this sure aint been my best year.

15. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Man all you guy's aint nothing but good news are ya?:tounge_out: Man i hope he sends pictures soon:cool2: Something about transferring from phone to his computer problems:confused2: Rain that is just what we need:beat_brick:

16. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Went to Barling dam yesterday to chase bait around and that is all i did, chase that is:crazy: Johnny stopped by and shot the breeze a little while. The point is the flood gates are now WIDE OPEN:sad2:sorry Bait Boat but me johnny and roger gotta have a gun-fight on Kerr on saturday night,can't wait for it to go down, but i do want to remote control boat fish with ya a time or 2....Give ya'll a report on monday:smile2:

17. crazfish

crazfish New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I WENT FISH'IN ON ARK. RIVER IN LR AREA AND TELL YA, THAT RIVER SURE IS PUSHIN A BIT HARD FOR MA BOAT! SIGHS, COST ME AN ANCHOR AND ROPE, GOT HUNG ON SUMTH'IN AND GOSH DARN! SO WENT TO THE MELLOW PART AND MISSED A COUPLE STRIKES AND THEN CAME HOME.

18. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    We went to The dam at Dardanelle 3 weeks ago, myself and my son in law "Veritok". It was rollin at about 100,000 then. We drift fished for about 4 hrs and caught one 5 pounder. It was about 135,000 this weekend so we went to Long Creek at Tablerock. The water is WAY up there. We caught some perch for bait, put out a few jugs, and drift fished till almost midnight and never got a bite, but it was good to be out there.

19. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Well I finally had enough of waiting for the river to come down so I strapped on a life vest and got out there thursday night. Fished some wing dams below Bigelow and caught 5 small eaters and one 8 # blue. Also had line broke on what was probably a good one. He got up across some rocks and snapped 30# mono. With the river up so high, the water is rolling right over the wing dams and I found the fish right up against them on the downstream side. Had to be real careful though. I made sure I got there well before dark and scouted it all real good before I ever started fishing. By the way, tried some drifting in the main channel and I had my gps with me and it said I was moving 5 miles per hour. Pretty dang fast if you ask me!!!. Also, have any of yall noticed more barge traffic this year. I was on the water from about 6 pm til midnight and saw 7 barges which if a record for me.

20. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    It was a gun-fight all right on Kerr saturday night as Bait Boat would put it! We started off with a SEVERE T-storm out of no where and ran 12 miles up lake to get out of the lightning and out of the boat!:crazy: I failed to mention that 777 johnny, master taxman that's roger, and uncle roger all caught gar right off the bat before we took cover. We put out 20 noodles this time had to cut Johnny back from his usual 40 i think he was suffering a little. Oh yeah he forgot the SKIPS at his house too. I told him we would not metion that.:lol: { Think he needs to make list out then follow list, getting older johnny } We fished till midnight the 2 rogers kept asking if me and johnny were wet from the showers. They had on there new FROG TOGS. Hell me and johnny didn't care we hadn't fished in 2 weeks. We had 14 fish i believe is what johnny said. His uncle roger hasn't been out past 7pm in years:lol: He kept on napping a lot. It was a hoot as usual we used shad and punch bait and 2 skips.