Bait at the canals

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by low desert jonathan, May 5, 2009.

1. low desert jonathan

low desert jonathan New Member

State:
    California
    Where is the most accessible place to get live bait either tilapia or bluegill at the Blythe Palo Verde areas. It must have easy access due to accident. Thanks Low Dsrt Jon

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Welcome to the BOC, Jonathan.
    As a fellow with limited mobility myself, I've found the Horseshoe lakes on the Az. side of the river south of I-10 to have a good number of places that are easy access. You just need a river stamp.
    I like to use a piece of crawler and dropshot it up 10-12 inches. Toss it out and work it slowly across the bottom in the deeper water.
    South of PV try the back water there by the hwy. Easy to get to and work it the same way along the tulies.

3. low desert jonathan

low desert jonathan New Member

State:
    California
    Can you please tell me how to get to the horseshoe lakes thanks LDJonathan

4. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
  5. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    You can Click on the satellite button to get a better look, There are several places right along there to access the oxbow.

6. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    The hardest part about fishing for flatheads is seccuring a good nights supply of bait.

7. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    You can always pick up some goldfish for back up. They have them at the bait shop in Palo Verde and also at B&B bait in Blythe. Most of my Bluegill spots don't fall under easy access. I know a F&G warden told me the boat launch at oxbow lake had some good bluegill. Also stop at all of the irrigation canal headers and take a min to dropshot a worm in each corner.

8. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Chris, gave you some good info, as well as the other fellas,,
    I know if I get over there past bait catchin time,, I can usually swing by and get some of the goldfish, and they work pretty good for flats, channels, and occassionally a LM bass..
    If you need more info, PM me, and can give you some pointers or other info If you want.

also, I found out recently, your bait will last a LOT longer if you don't ,,,Let it all go,,,:sad2:

9. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    LOL! We didn't catch anything because the flats were all full on the 2 doz goldfish he free'd!

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    MAN, it's hard to find a good fishin partner,,,:embarassed:

11. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Jonathan welcome to the BOC

all good info above and don't count out the goldfish, got a lot of big fish on them, a 30 &35s and a 48 lb on 2'' goldfish:wink:

12. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a25: Jonathan, to a place were some off the "Best Cat-fishermen in the world hang out". :0a23:
    :wink: