Bait at Monticello

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bomber, Sep 15, 2009.

1. bomber

bomber New Member

State:
    SC
    I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to get bait around monticello. do most people buy bait (if so where) of catch bait with a cast net (where are good spots to throw) lately I have been catching brim with a small spinning rod and cutting them up. What do most other people do. Any help would be nice. Good Lake and I'll be there sunday. Also how has the fishing been there lately.

2. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    pm sent:wink:

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Carter. Good luck.

4. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I buy near the house on the way there. Saw a guy selling live herring one morning across the road from the landing. Don't know when he's normally there but I don't think he's there all the time.

5. ricsmith

ricsmith New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Glenn 6-10 is the only thing I know of nearby and they are very limited and kinda pricey. I always take some fresh raw shrimp and live large shiners, but I get them in Lexington before I leave.

6. DamonG

DamonG Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I could be wrong but I think it is against the law to throw a cast net in Monticello. Something to do with the power plant.:confused2:

7. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    When I go to Monty I always buy my bait in Union from SC Backwoods. Scott is a great guy to deal with and a member of the BOC.

8. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC

Steve can we get a address for that shop?:wink:

Also whats the deal with the bait shop across the street to monty I went there the other day had big ole giz shad in the tank and no one there all locked up..... I was about to slip cash under the door and dip me a few out lol...

9. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    I catch my bait there with hook and worms. Even though i have fun catching them they haven't been producing and big fish. Gizzard shad has always worked for me in the past so if you can get them, get them:big_smile:
    Soon as i get my shop cleared out (dirtbikes, generators, pumps, parts etc) i was thinking about fixing everything up to sell bait and fishn stuff. If I ever start everyone on here needs to come by and buy:wink:

10. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I ask the warden on the lake one day and cast nets are legal as long as no game fish were caught and kept.

11. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    which bait shop are you speaking of ? Do you have a name. I have a friend at work that wants to go down there for the first time this week and he was asking about gizzards near the lake. Can you give me a location to tell him?Thanks

12. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I would like to know also, I been fishing there for 2 or 3 yrs now and have never saw it.

13. jimbow3

jimbow3 New Member

State:
    NC
    It's a cinder block building that sits across the street from the 215 boat landing,not sure what the hours are,hope this helps.

14. line stretcher blues

line stretcher blues New Member

State:
    nc
    you can get live bait at jimmys bait on hwy 321 about 5 miles north of chester. # 803 377 7317 he always has bait either herring/shad, a lot of times he has both. give him a call, a super nice guy.

15. larry d. grady

larry d. grady New Member

State:
    north caro
    hi bomber,its tough:sad2: to even catch a bream in monti.however you can catch plenty of small perch in the back of the deep coves,and what i mean by small is 3 to 5 inches in 15 to 20 ft. of water with a sabiki rig and worms.hope this helps.send me a personal message and i will put you on some 3 to 6 lb blues.:wink:

16. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    J.Jones lives about 3-4 miles from me and i have got bait from him when i'm in a rush. (i like to catch my own) He talks to a lot of fishermen and can give you a lot of info on where they are biting and were they are not.
    thanks for his #, i had lost it:big_smile:
    I talked to the Lady that has the bait shed at Monty. Her name is Pasty, and her and her husband sell bait (or did) i don't know what hrs or even if they are still open but the next time i'm down that way i will check and see.