Bait at Buggs?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catman823, Mar 17, 2008.

1. catman823

catman823 New Member

State:
    pa
    Reading the Virginia rule book has me a bit confused. I was trying to find out what the rules are for using a cast net to catch bait at Buggs Island. One paragraph says no nets allowed and a little farther down it says that Shad are catch and release only?

Can someone clear up for me what the rules are? What baits can I legally catch in a cast net? Are there limits as to how much bait you can have with you?

Thanks for the help.

2. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    i fish buggs some and we always use a throw net to catch bait. shad is what we primarily use and all game fish caught go back in the lake. never heard of a limit on shad but then again i can never seem to catch more than i can use fishing. this websight might help you http://www.kerrlake.proboards21.com/index.cgi?
    it has a bait info section and may help more. good luck

3. catman823

catman823 New Member

State:
    pa
    thx.. will check out the other site.

4. bigredneck

bigredneck New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    A lot of the folks I talked to use chicken breasts and catch 20lb blues regularly. I've strictly used shad or herring in the past at Santee. I made my first trip to buggs this month and was successful catching some shad in the bluestone and buffalo. But I also bought some jumbo minnows at uppys. It didn't seem to make much of a difference, caught fish on both. all about 16-17lbs.

A lot of folks talk about using crappie filets too..

5. catman823

catman823 New Member

State:
    pa
    Bigredneck,

Thanks for the info. This will be my first trip to buggs. I normally fish Santee but the low water scared me off this year.