Bait around Lake Greenwood

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by daveaf, Jun 15, 2007.

1. daveaf

daveaf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I am brand new to the forum, and would like to say this seems to be a great place for info. I have a question though; does anyone know where a fella can get either some herring or shad around Lake Greenwood. I am planning on going tommorrow to fish the Reedy or Saluda ends of the lake and would like to try my luck at some eating size Channels. My skills with a casting net is poor. So using a casting net may only leave me without bait. I do know that I can catch small bream, but from what I have been reading, channels prefer the shiner type of fish.
    I appericate anyones help.

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Welcome Dave.You can get herring at 702 bait and tackle near the state park.Herring work fine for channels.You can also catch plenty of white perch with worms on the bottom from 8 to 20 feet in the backs of creeks.Most of the time the bigger chunks of white perch will get you a bigger channel than the herring will, bream will also work just fine too.Shrimp is another good bait for channels in Greenwood, the bigger and fresher the better.You never know when a big blue or flathead might grab your bait either.

3. daveaf

daveaf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thank you for the help.
    Another question; I know that June is prime spawn time for cats, and with this being said; is the Reedy or Saluda side of the lake best for cats this time of the year.
    I went last weekend and fished the Reedy just above Twin Rivers area for Bream, and caught some small channels on crickets. I was thinking about trying to drift either area this weekend. Also which times are better, early morning or night?
    Thanks once again.

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Yeah the Reedy and Saluda are good right now.Theres usually always some fish up one of the two arms.They are startin to scatter out a little now so driftin is gone be your best bet.Sometimes they will bite all day long and sometimes its early mornin or night, just whichever suits you.

5. daveaf

daveaf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thank you for the information. I will try to post my results

6. bodi

bodi New Member

State:
    missouri
    i am new to the whole missouri fishing i grew up mudbuggin in mississippi and then moved to piedmont Mo i was just wandering were to fish and what to fish with i heard a rumor about a huge flathead that goes about 120lb really sounds like good eatin

7. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I think you in the wrong state big daddy.

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Welcome to the board Dave.

9. daveaf

daveaf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    First chance I have had to post. Saturday turned out to be a bust for channels. The wife and I started drifting in the morning, and she wasnt enjoying herself. I was having a blast not doing anythig but drifting and trying to fish, but I chose to pull in the lines and take her to try to do some bream fishing. After all we did well catching bait when we first arrived. We did really well catching bream, about 22 nice size fish. Did have a heck of time fighting the wind and all the pleasure boaters. We have a 16.2 ft Bass Tracker Pro Team 170, in which I thought we were going to be swamped once when a huge bowrider came by. Of course this Jack--- was pulling a tuber and was no where near planed out, causing about 2 1/2 foot wakes and caught us between a dock and himself. I was fuming. It seems that alot of these pleasure boaters have less and less respect for people that are fishing. I know that lots of folks complain about tourney fisherman, but I have more problems with drunk pleasure boaters that own the Queen Mary and try to run around a small lake like the upper end of Greenwood.... I guess they have no idea that the water is only 2-4ft deep in some of those areas. A couple of weeks ago I watched a guy load what I felt was a yatch on Greenwood.
    Sorry to vent, its just I try to respect everyone on the water and I find more and more people will either throw you around with their wake or do water donuts all around you on jet ski's. I almost hate going to the lake on the weekends.

10. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Thats one reason I'm glad to work the weekends and off Monday-Wednesday.