Bait around L/D 25

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Malichi1970, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Anyone having any luck catching bait in the Loc/Dam 25 area? was there last weekend and only caught a gar in the throw net. Was thinking about heading out Friday night (weather permitting.....Kutter's working right?) and was hoping to get some bait.

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Try to get bait up near the dam. If you dare to venture past the "do not cross line" you should find some. Mooneyes in the boiling water, mostly shad at the middle roller gates where its calmer.

If you don't wish to cross into the forbidden zone just point your bow towards approx. the 2nd or 3rd tainter gate from the Illinois side. Now CUT YOUR MOTOR and drift while throwing your net. You will drift across an area that is only 6 ft deep. Not sure if it is a hump or submerged dike or whatever. You most always find shad there in that shallow. That shallow is pretty far in the river so you don't expect it to be there. Be careful in that area right now near the Illinois side!

You cut your motor for the drift through the shallows. Restart when it is safe and ease back out towards the middle of the river into deeper water. It will drop off RAPIDLY. I always wanted to set up on this flat or hump at night but haven't done it yet. You might try it Mike. I mean there is a SERIOUSLY DEEP HOLE immediately next to the shallow. If you can't find it maybe we'll both fish it some night.

Good luck, I always find bait there, sometimes its just a little more work locating them. I have a 12ft cast net, that helps when bait gets scarce.

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Just a thought!

If you are looking to score on some bait for the meet and greet in Louisiana, I can tell you where to get an average of 30 baitfish per throw. You can hardly pull the net in it gets so full!

LARGE shad, mooneyes, medium shad, carp. Look me up if you are heading up there. Campsite 3, two rivers marina or channel 69 this weekend.

4. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Thanks Darryl, I'm not heading up to Louisiana to fish this weekend..... but I may try to get up that way just to say Hi to everyone on Saturday.

Anytime your wanting to head up that way at night I'm game, just let me know.

5. wielms6

wielms6 New Member

State:
    warrenton missouri
    as daryl said the dam is a good place to get bait if you can handle the rough water if not try going down stream to the lower end of the first island be careful of the depth you can get to the mouth of the cuivre river up that chute just watch the depth and for logs been a long time since ive been up there used to be a lot of bait there i have even been catching a few perch for live bait on the missouri side along the wall of the chamber toward the flood gates to far in is shallow though good luck