BAIT, Any one use soap for catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by MissUL8R, Jul 12, 2009.

1. MissUL8R

MissUL8R New Member

State:
    Center Ridge, Arkansas
    I was just at the lake and the guy camping next to us was baiting his lines with pink soap. he caught several cats, but nothing big. I got a couple of bars off of him and got a few in the 3 to 5 lb range. anyone else ever tried this?

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    :0a25: to the hood!!!! Dont use soap except in the tub:eek:oooh::tounge_out: I know it works though..:big_smile:

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome Mike. I never used soap but daddy use to catch alot of fiddlers on it. Cut it in squares and took a hot ice pick to poke a hole thru it.

4. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas

First of all, welcome to the Boc...

Now the soap your talking about is called Zote soap. It comes in white or pink. It is used mainly for trot lines, and it is what is called a slow bite bait. It is about 66% animal fat. That is what attracts the catfish. I use it on all my trot lines and always catch fish with it.

You won't catch any monster cats with this soap, but all the eater size you can handle. You would be wasting your time using soap on a rod and reel, as the soap must be left out to start to dissolve for a long period of time.

It is however an inexpensive and clean bait.One thing I have found is nothing but Catfish bite soap.. Thats a good thing..lol

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I use soap when trotlining for eaters... I either use the Zote soap or Ivory soap.

The ivory soap is a little harder to use because it is more brittle. You have to use dental floss, a piece of mono, or an adjustable cheese slicer to cut it. If you try and cut it with a knife it will just break apart on ya. To put it on the hook I usually just put it on the point of the hook as well as I can but not all the way or it will break on ya there too unless ya take a hot ice pick to it like John said.

The zote however is a waxier soap and is easier to use and can be cut with a knife and is not as hard to put on a hook. However for some reason I think the cats prefer the ivory over the Zote and I am not sure why as the Ivory is only made up of 50 % animal fatty acids while the Zote is made up of 66 %.

6. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i keep some in my tackle box haven't really used it much but no luck when i did i dont think i left it out long enough

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mike Welcome to the BOC,from So. Illinois. Soap has been use by trot-line fisherman, in my area, for many years. Give it a try and let us know what you catch.

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Mike pay attention to whisker. He the man. Welcome to the BOC.

9. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i used to use pink camay on my trotlines cut into 1/4 inch squares it would lose all the pink color and swell to twice it's size but left out overnite it would really catch the channels.

10. MissUL8R

MissUL8R New Member

State:
    Center Ridge, Arkansas
    Just wanted to thank everone for the welcomes and advice.

11. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Welcome to BOC, Yes I use to go fishing with my brother using Ivory soap and cought a lot of nice fish. the best way to cut is us a very thin knife keeps it from breaking (pear knife).cut it down each side of the name making three slices take each one and cut it again making six slices and cut each one into about 1/2 " dices not much bigger or fish want mess with it works ok on lakes but for best results use in a channel with curent this bait will only catch channel and blues I have never cought a flathead using soap.:smile2: Good luck!!:cool2: you SMELL a lot better @ the end of a fishing trip for sure LOL:smile2::big_smile::tounge_out:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  12. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    You know I've never tried soap but have heard of it being used. After reading these posts I'm going to try this one. Heck with soap I might be able to get my wife to Bait her own hook.:wink:

John

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Mike! Back in the 50s, I ran across this old commercial fisherman and got to talking with him. When I asked him what he used for bait, he said, "Soap". Of course, I thought he was pulling my leg, and I let him know it, as politely as possible. Then he took me over to his boat and showed me a whole case of Ivory setting in it. Well, he didn't look clean enough to have a use for that much soap for washing, so I believed him. A few years later, while working a summer job on the bank of the Tennessee River, I was able to put out a couple or three throwlines off our dock, but being at work, I couldn't get nasty & stinky; so, I used Ivory. I caught enough eaters to keep us in catfish for the summer.
    Just remember that soap is a really slow bite; it's generally a poor choice for rod & reel.

14. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I like to use Ivory soap on trot lines I have better luck with it when its hot Weather like now if you will put it in a zip lock bag then place it in the micco for about a minute it will soften up and not be brittle But don,t over do it

15. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Welcome to the boc

16. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    We melt a hole in a square of ivory 3/4"x3/4" then set it over the eye of a treble hook. Worked on trotlines especially when teamed with bacon on every other hook and a 6" bream or two for vibration. Works best with a slight current to spread the scent downstream.

17. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    A friend of mine bought me a block of that "Redneck's Catfish Soap". I used it a few years ago on jugs and even put some on a trotline. All I did was clean the water I think. It did NOT work. I hope he didn't pay much for it. I have seen it advertised from a Texas outfit.
    Like the earlier posts, I have heard of people using Ivory back in the day, as well as that Zote soap.
    I guess if you want to use it, it will wash off easy enough.......or do you have to use a different soap to wash it off????:confused2:

18. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Mike. I think I'll leave the soap bait to those that know. I'll stick to my live baits even tho I know they are not as clean j/k of course. Good luck,,,