Bait and trap a theif

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by drpepper, Aug 12, 2009.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Lets hear some Ideas folks..... on Baiting and trapping thiefing punks. People on the BOC are getting stuff ripped off left and right... including me.
    In the last 6 months Ive had a 4wheeler stolen a car, wheels stolen off a car and now- this latest one tonight ... a punk busted my window trying to steal my Excursion at the boat ramp while I was out fishing.

I'm ready and willing to kill... no joke. So lets hear some good bait and trap ideas.

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Get you a surveillance camera wired up and put on the outside front of your house.. let it view your driveway or the most critical spot where you want it.. and let it have the infared feature on it for nightfall scopin'. That should do the trick!:wink:

3. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    ive used the moultrie game spy cam that i track and photo deer with to catch a person stealing from my house before, its got a flash feature and best of all infrared so it can take pics without the flash an the theif never knew it took about 15 pics of him. they run off AA batteries and can mount almost anywhere. you just set it to laser and aim where you want. its got a good 20-30 yard range.

This worked for me because it took a pic of his truck and got the license plate so i got the photo and took it to the police. 3 days later he was arrested for stealing $500.00 in building materials (lumber) while we were in the process of building our house.

4. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    well its a difficult task but if you have tinted windows sit in the back floorboard or wherever you cant be seen at not only will you scare the crap outta em but if ya got a bat or somthing they will be knocked out

5. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Bill get your self a couple of big nasty pitts or rotties and tie em up to your truck set out some food and water for them enough to last till you get done fishing :wink:

6. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Bill the camera idea sounds the best to me ,not worth u getting into a lot of trouble over someone stealing from u ,he would get a slap on the wrist, u would get prison time ,think about it, is that stuff really worth that .:confused2:Just my thoughts

7. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    I was joking about the dogs...sorta :wink: But seriously your best bet would be the cameras a picture says a thousand words!!!

8. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It must have been a year ago now. My buddy goes out to start his truck in the morning for work, and before he gets in he touches his hood and the motor was hot. He looks inside his vehical they stole his cd/dvds and a bunch of stuff out of his truck. The shoved a screwdriver in the key hole and stole his truck. While doing a walk around of the truck he looks in the back and finds 30 bucks in loose change and ciggarettes and a lighter and a few other things. So we call the police. After all is said in done they stole 3000 worth of hunting gear from my shed and stole his truck to rob the rest of the neighborhood and robbed a store. They should be shot on site.

9. bodach

bodach New Member

State:
    KS Emporia
    Here are a few things I have done in the past that helped. Do you have a alarm on your truck? they have ones that will alert you when its been set off. I really hope you start having better luck it sucks getting stuff stolen but not as bad as sitting in jail if you take the approach most of us would like to.

1. in my motion light I put a screw in noise maker in one socket but it was very aggravating on windy days
    2.I had someone getting into my shed so I put one of those switches that stores use to let them know when someone comes in and hooked it up to a doorbell inside my house that sounded different than my house doorbell
    3.borrowed my dads cattle fence charger and ran a wire around the back yard

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  10. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i wanted to rig up my truck with one of those spring traps where when they open the door, a boxing glove over a block of wood punches em in the face...but i couldnt think of a way to make it only work when i wanted it to.:confused2:

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    LOL I'd forget it was there after fishing all night and get my lights punched out by my own trap.:big_smile:

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I put an alarm on the house and another system on the shop.
    Both dial out to multiple phones. The last number they dial is the sheriff's department.
    Stay away from the Brinks and other national alarm companies and go for a small independent alarm company for the best deals, best installs, and no contracts. If you breach those contracts they will come after you in court.

My monitoring is 25 bucks a month for each system. The alarm man mantains the systems. The equipment is mine. No contract. If I choose not to monitor mine anymore or want to change my monitoring company I can do it without penalty.
    These systems are real compact now and you can incorporate lighting into them.

As far as stealing ATV's and vehicles it's hard to beat Lojack. It works.
    Locally a man had a Harley stolen a few weeks ago. Within hours they found it through Lojack along with a half dozen others and a stolen closed in trailer.
    They made 4 arrests on the spot.

I know I'm not fool enough to to wind up behind bars for whacking a fishing tackle thief or a car thief. That is more then likely what would happen.
    I figure my best course is deterent and tools that will hand law enforcement an arrest and conviction.

Alarm systems won't keep the professionals out but it is a deterent to the street level crackhead.
    Serial numbers. Take the time to write down the serial number off everything including reels. If it doesn't have one engrave one on the bottom of the reel foot. Your chances of getting anything out of pawn shop without a serial number are slim.

I just went through this with a brand new Dewalt skilsaw.I failed to catalogue that serial number. It turned up missing and about 3 months later I just happened to walk in a pawn shop and saw it sitting there. I knew it was mine because of some unique tooling marks on the aluminum foot that derived from a fixture I built to attach to it.
    I didnt confront the pawn shop owner. I went straight to the police.
    Unique tooling marks arent good enough even though I had the fixture that would match up to those tooling dimples perfectly. They wanted the serial number.

Too bad I don't have a photographic memory because I would have gone back and memorized the serial number and got the saw back.

13. Gills4Flats

Gills4Flats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    With this economy, and this administration, expect it to get MUCH worse, just decide for yourself how far you will go to protect what you worked hard for, then remember the 3 S's... Yes It IS Coming to this.

Shoot
    Shovel
    Shutup

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    There is one exception to your statement.
    Buy a well known alarm in the upper range that is known to use it's own battery, not the vehicles. Put the sticker in an obvious location such as driver window.
    Do not install alarm!
    The street level thief won't mess with an alarm of most types and definitely not a top of the line one.
    A professional thief will recognize it for what it is and not break into the vehicle till he cuts the wire going to it's battery. After a couple of minutes of not finding the wire, (cause you didn't install) he will give up. Too many easy targets out there to waste his time on your car. It would never occur to a professional thief that you would pay so much for an alarm and not install it.

15. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    the answer is tricky but i understand what you are saying, i started a thread a while back about my trolling motor getting stolen. the problem with a passive means like a camera trap is they still rip you off and you might not get the item back. the problem with the more aggressive means is that #1 you could get hurt if you try to ambush them in person and #2 if you set up a trap that would kill or maim them then you can end up in jail for a while. Then you wont be able to fish. its just ashame that so many of us have problems with this and even in good neighborhood. Crime isn't just an urban problem it is now effecting us all, everywhere.

16. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    go to the local fishing boat ramp with out your boat but keep the trailer hooked up .... leave the boat at home on some saw horse's ....

i have 5% tint in 2 layers and its hard to see in during the day and for sure even with a flash light there is no way your seeing me at night

When he starts top open the door point your gun at his head and then start makeing him take all his stuff off after hes done have him throw all his stuff in the back of the truck and then drive off..

I can for no reason take anyone stealing from me even 1%.....i bet you he will think of his actions next time when he goes to steal again.:roll_eyes:

17. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    just posted on the CA section a friend of mine had 9 poles and his tackle box stolen this weekend at a local lake. I say bait and trap and beat the punks:angry:

18. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Put a silent alarm on your vehicle with a pager system on your keychain. It will let you know when he breaks in but he will not be aware of the alarm. Then blast his brains all over the place and throw him in the river to feed the catfish.

19. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the replies folks... Man I was fired up, twisted wrong, and seriously P.O.ed last night when I got home and made this post. lol
    Thanks to being able to vent this on the BOC, I was able to sleep better than I would have otherwise been. One thing for sure... though I've calmed down, I ain't over it... Automotive computer and electronics is what I do for a living.
    I will solve this problem... believe me- I will. *evil laugh*.....

20. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    Post a target from the shooting range with a note "Nothing in here is worth dying for"