Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

BAIT advice needed

1K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  ltbball 
#1 ·
I need some help here,a friend of mine from from church just gave me permission to fish his pond here in Kansas.The pond is about 1.5 acres,not very big.Half of it is surrounded by cat tail folige with a depth of 20'.My friend assured me him & his family catch cat's out of it.I went out there last night between 6:00 & 9:00 pm and used chicken liver's with no luck.My question's are 1.what bait would you try first. 2.The best time of the day & 3.how deep.Willing to take any advice.

#2 ·
Since that is only a 1.5 acre pond the most likely food source for the cats is probably bluegill. If you could get some small bluegill, shinners or minnows that should work really good. I would definatly fish the deep spot of the pond. They should be gathered down there since cats like deep water. the ponds that I have fished that is where the fish stack up at in the deep holes. As for time of day, I have had luck early in the morning like when its just getting light and in the evening and when its dark. Duiring the middle of the day the bite slows atleast at the pinds that I fish.

#3 ·
I'm in NC, but here's my take on things. More daylight, fish deeper. What feeds the pond? Is there a spring or creek? Find out what the catfish have available to eat and go from there. They could be eating salamanders, crayfish, or minnows from a creek. If no creek, they're probably eating bluegill, grasshoppers, or other big bugs that land on the water. You might want to try a float rig with stinkbait (or even cut or live bait). Needs to be a slip rig. Or, since it's your friend's pond, and they catch cats, why don't you ask him?:smile2:

#4 ·
1.5 acre pond, 20' deep, cattails/reeds around edges...forget cats, go for bass. Cats will come in time, but that sounds more like a bass pond. LOL... I'm probably gonna get in trouble with the members for that. HE HAWWW

#5 ·
Catgirl said:
I'm in NC, but here's my take on things. More daylight, fish deeper. What feeds the pond? Is there a spring or creek? Find out what the catfish have available to eat and go from there. They could be eating salamanders, crayfish, or minnows from a creek. If no creek, they're probably eating bluegill, grasshoppers, or other big bugs that land on the water. You might want to try a float rig with stinkbait (or even cut or live bait). Needs to be a slip rig. Or, since it's your friend's pond, and they catch cats, why don't you ask him?:smile2:
Thanks Tayna,Theres no water feed to the pond.He said he just used nightcrawlers,but I'm afraid to because of the bluegill overpopulation that will steal it.His daughter said she caught an 8 pounder on a piece of hot dog.I've heard of people catching cat's on hot dog's but never tried it myself........................Hmmm....Could it be that I just answered my own question? Again,Thanks.

#7 ·
There are a lot of different baits you can use in a pond that might not work great in a river. The best bait I've used in a pond is chub heads. They seem to always work. Other great baits are shrimp, spam, and hamburger and parmisian mix. I usually fish with a bobber in ponds from 4-10 feet deep. I have always had my best luck at six feet.

If it is a calm day with no wind, look at the top of the water and look for small singular bubbles coming up. Channel will school up in the ponds and release the bubbles. If you find a big group of small cingular bubbles fish right in the middle of it. Then all you have to do is find the depth they are holding.

#9 ·
Catch one of those bass and whack it up, put it on a hook, hold your pole, it won't be long. Trapped in a pond, the catfish diet has been limited to what they have available, bass, bluegills, worms, bugs, frogs. If there are no bluegills, I'd catch a 1/2 lb. bass and cut him up in chunks. Use a nice 2-3in chunk in about 10-15ft. of water about dusk. Use the worm to catch the bass. That way you can claim it was an accident.:0a5:
Don

#10 ·
if the cats aren't biting on liver, then there may be a problem with them... very few times have i gotten skunked on liver... I would try the worms or possibly cheese... if you've got a little money go and try stinkbaits... or use the worms on a small hook and catch the bluegils, then toss them out weightless on a #2/0 circle hook after cutting off the fins on their side, or just one so they can't steer as well.... you may catch a few ba$$ if they are in there too, but the ones you'll catch should be fairly large

#13 ·
John,
This sounds like the perfect place to try the Danny Kings punch bait on a #4 or#5 trebble hook. If the bottom is soft use an 18 to 24 inch leader with a small cigar cork pegged 5 to 8 inches from the bait to keep the bait suspended above the mud so the fish can find it. As far as depth try deep during the day first and shallow at night first but if your not getting any bites move. Hope this helps. 777

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.