Bair for minnow trap

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by winston61, Apr 12, 2007.

1. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Can anyone advise me what to use as bait in a minnow trap? Thanks to all. Pardon the typo in the header.

2. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    The best thing I have used is take a slice of bread and lay it out in the sun so it will dry out , that will make it flake off in the water better. This workes best for me.

3. fishinnstudyin

fishinnstudyin New Member

State:
    MO
    cinnamon graham crackers.. or anything with cinnamin and bread in it.. cinnamon toast crunch.. they smell it quickly and come over to investigate..

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I use a piece or 2 of dry dog food. Dry cat food would work OK too.
    Lots easier than using bread. Usually put a handful or 2 in sandwich bag so i have some all the time.
    best of luck
    just

5. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    I use Fritos or white corn chips

6. YellaCat

YellaCat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Sliced onions....

7. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Last year, I made a Bluegill/bullhead trap from the library on this site. I took a can of sardines, and punched a couple of holes in it and it worked fantastic. It was nothing to leave it in a pond that has a lot of gills in it, for 15 to 20 min. and catch all the gills I needed for the day.
    The trap is square and has four openings, with a bait holder in the middle. It took me about two hrs. to build and about /$10, but it was well worth it. Look it up in the library, it is a great trap.
    Sparky

8. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Edward, here is a good article on the subject by a biologist that I found a while back:

http://www.nativefish.org/articles/MinnowTrapBait.php .

Although he says that a big river is like a biological desert (when it comes to trapping minnows), I'm gonna dabble with it this year. I'm also gonna try a cast net for the first time.

I think it might help to also know what species of minnow are in the waters you're trapping.

9. Okie Jim

Okie Jim New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I don't know if this will work for minnows but it sure works for perch, Take a clear soda bottle and put a couple of nightcrawlers in it then put it in your trap. Perch will see worms moving and come in like flies on honey.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Crackers,and Bread are good bait for Minnow traps.

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    So is abt a half pack of Ramen Noodles. They last forever and the fish love them.I've tried them and done VERY well with them!

12. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    We use flour tortillas. They stay together unless in current.

13. fess

fess New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use chopped onion and bread. I have been trapping minnows for years and this always works for me. The key to trapping minnows is to make sure that your trap runs up and down the creek. never run your trap sdeways in a creek.

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with all the other post on bread, dog and cat food but would like to add wheaties. Last a good while and does a good job.:big_smile:

15. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use packing peanutz in my traps works perfect and u never have to refill it just fill it once and ur done for ever i dont no why but they love styrofoam.

16. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    I use dry cheap dogfood mostly. Bread soaked in stuff like chicken liver juice, or vanilla flavoring works too.

17. wormduck

wormduck New Member

State:
    kentucky
    dried up bread or dry dog food

18. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use a cheep can of cat food or a can of Jack Mac.Poke it full of holes and it will work everytime............

19. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    A lot of depends on what you are wanting to catch in the trap brother. The best I have used is the cheap can's of sardines packed in oil. Another great bait is bread soaked in anise oil. Canned dog or cat food works as well...BUT...the canned sardines packed in oil is hard to beat....it catches EVERYTHING...bullheads, perch, minnows, crawdads...if its small enough to get in the trap basically LOL...Hope that helped!!!!

20. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    There is a lot of different things you can bait it with. Bread, sliced onions, dry dog food, Lucky Charms, etc. That usually fills my trap with bait before a fishing trip.