Bail problem - ABU Garcia spinning reel

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by hopnbrly, Jan 24, 2006.

1. hopnbrly

hopnbrly New Member

State:
    California
    I have a Abu Garcia spinning reel that developed a problem about 6 months after I got it.The problem is as follows,After casting and engaging the handle the bail does not close and I have to manually close the bail.Any idea on what my problem might be and how to fix it?Thanks for any help that you guys might have.

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Clean and oil it. If that doesnt work then it more then likely has a broken spring under that little cover on the side of the reel! That is generaly the first thing to go on those reels with automatic bail thingy! I got half a dozzen of them broke in my reel "bone yard" and one of the reasons I switched to baitcasters!

3. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Also it could be bent. Take loose one side of the bail and it should not "spring away" from where it goes. If it does, then try gently bending it back so it will sit where it's supposed to go without help. Otherwise it's probably needing cleaning and oiling as stated earlier.

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I havent had much luck with Abu spinning reels either. Ive had two where the handle actually broke. I like Abu's for baitcasting reels and Shimano for my spinning reels.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've had problems with Abu/mitchell spinning reels. Both Daiwa and Shimano reels seldom give bail problems and, when the have, its usually when I'm fishing a sandy, shallow river. Sand will sometimes get in the bail spring area and cause it to not close. In the old days, lots of guys would replace the bail with a roller guide only and manually place the line on the guide. Some may still do it.

6. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Clean & oil your reel 1st. If that don't fix it your spring is most likely weak or the prong has popped out of it's holding slot. Remove the spring cover check the spring to see if the prong has popped out or if it's broke.Those springs are coil type springs and can be fixed most of the time. Put the spring on a dial or something round a bit smaller then the spring. Using two pairs of pilers grasp the two prongs and twist the spring to tighten it. Hope that helps,let me know if you need more help.

7. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Hey Swampy that sounds worth trying ,Ihave 5 smal mitchell reels I under stand that they just have weak bail springs. Ihave a few akumas that always work they must have strong springs .See you on the fish bank

8. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    If that don't work for you you could go to a tackle shop that does reel repairs. They can make you some stronger springs for those reels and they won't cost much,buy the springs and replace them yourself "if they replace them for you they will charge you labor".