Bail open?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by wayner, Jun 13, 2006.

1. wayner

wayner New Member

State:
    Utah
    Which is the best, to fish with the bail open or closed. I like the bail open but I struggle sometimes deciding when to set the hook with both methods. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm assuming you're talking about using a Spinning reel, and leaving the bail open to allow the fish to run without feeling tension. If so, I think setting the drag loose works a lot better, and then when you're ready to set the hook, put your hand on the spool and set the hook and then tighten the drag up.

Good luck

3. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    When I am using a spinning reel, I always leave the bail open when the pole is not in my hands. I leave a small enough rock on my line so that the current won't pull it, but a fish sure could.

When setting the hook, pick up your pole when the line is flowing off, close your bail, wait for your line to tighten up so you can feel the fish needing more, and then pull with all you got.

If you are using a sliding sinker set up, be careful, sometimes you will have a lot more slack in your line than you would realize. You need to reel in until you really have an angle on the fish, if that makes sense.

4. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Here's what I used to do when I used spinning reels. Leave the bail open, when the fish is running hold the rod tip up, close the bail and when he starts to pull the tip down nail him. On any kind of settup I wait till the fish is loading the rod up like this. That way you know all the slack is out of the line and the fish isn't swimming towards you.

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I'm a tightliner. Vern

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Zakks technique works well and I started out doing just that. Then I picked up a Shimano Baitrunner 6500 which eliminates loostening and tightening the drag. The baitrunner option can be adjusted to set the tension when free spooling.

7. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Wayner,

I found that Catfish don't mind tension, as long as it's the same tension, I would just losen my drag after I cast out, and tiden it down before I set the hook.
    :0a26:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

8. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This is the reason I LOVE my 6500. On my other poles I don't leave the bail open, but I do turn the antireverse off. The fish can still pull some line out, but I have to be somewhat nearby. If a fish pulls then stops suddenly it can cause a tangle.

9. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    this is why good rod holders were invented... as long as you have the drag set correctly, Circle hooks and a good rod holder... when i fish hits the drag will be enough to set the hook well and the rod holder won't let the rod go at all...

around here there's no need to let the fish take extra line, if your using an appropriate size hook and bait they will take it aggressively and hook themselves fast... ( i have a fish lift my rod up and pull and bend the rod holder over to a 45 degree angle from about 90 degrees... BPS 3rodholder/2and lantern)

I have one of the Baitrunner reels too and i like it... but only when the fish are being very passive and not too aggressive...

10. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I leave my drag set pretty low on my one spinning reel. I also use circle hooks so I'm not too worried about them getting a good run before the hook gets set.

11. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Except for the big ones (and sometimes not even them) all we get around here are the tappers. I've only had two just pick it up and run with it this year: a 10# blue and an 8" blue. Every size in between has picked at it and maybe run for half a second.

12. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I would deffinately leave my bail Closed. When I use circle hooks. And I do all the time you have to have tension so the fish runs to the end and it catches him in the side of the mouth.

Just set the rod in a good bank holder my favorite is a "Bank Buddy" Check the attached picture

Josh

Attached Files:

13. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I remove he reel from pole and put a rubber band on rod in fron of the reel seat , replace reel on rod. Then after casting I tuck looped line under rubber band and leave bail open. When fish takes bait rod tip flips and ine is released for fish to run. Th line stays close to rod so no chance of damage to line.

14. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    josh... i use the same one... couldn't think of the name of it... anyway only problem with that is when you have extremely aggressive fish... thats the rod holder i've had fish pull my rod all the way up and almost out of if the reel didn't catch on the bar going across... Had one fish take my Heavyweight rod and pull it up to the reel on the bar and bend the rod holder to about a 45 degree angle... sadly i didn't catch that fish... on two other occasions i've had ultra lights pulled and then drag stripped when the reel got hung up on the bar (1 was about a 2 lb channel in a small pond the other i don't know cause it didn't get hooked)... One pulled so hard once it bent the rod holder and snapped my line on the strike (granted it was 4 lb test but the drag was set fairly light and it wasn't a toothy cause there are none in that water)...

This is why i go with the Catfish Connection Spirals (which Walmart also carries but for a little more) and the Horizontals (walmart doesn't carry them atleast not the one by my house)

15. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I always just tightline when I fish but occasionally I will set the drag really low it works better then when hes pulling line tighten the drag and set the hook hard:eek:oooh: