Badin Thrusday 4/20 lost a good one

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catfishrus, Apr 20, 2006.

1. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i took my son back to badin this morning. it was so foggy we had to fish behind the dam until the fog burned off. bait was easy today for a change up at the dam. we caught two flatheads 6-8lbs, 1 striper, and 3-4 nice channels by 9.30. i then moved down river to the southern island area to try for some blues. the action was pretty good for channels. we caught 10-12 more drifting then i moved to deeper water around 11.30 and caught the first blue around 10lbs. at 12.00 i saw a line go limp and within a second that rod was bent harder than i ever seen one bend. the drag was steady going out even after i got the rod out of the holder. i tried to turn the fish with the rod and my new 30lb leader broke. i dont know what that fish weighed but it would have been avatar material for sure. i dont think i could have given that one to my son today.when you lose one like that, well im sick:crying:

2. Mpayne

Mpayne New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sounds like a great day on the lake having your son with you and catching fish too. Im curious if they were releasing any water today. The last few times I’ve been to Badin it's been very still except for the wind. Also, when you are fishing up by the dam are you fishing right up next to it or out in front further in front of all those rocks were it's only ablut 10ft deep?.

Did you son have a good time? How many fish did he catch?

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    mpayne we where out in front of the rocks. i just picked a spot waiting for the fog to burn off. when i got to old whitney we couldnt see the lights at garr creek or the island at the landing but i used my gps and went real slow to the dam. as for my son i wanted to get him a 30lb plus this week while he was out of school. i been letting him do most of the catching i just set the hooks. he went to sleep on me this morning and i got to catch the flatheads. i set him up with a white bass rig too, that helps keep the action going for him. he got a 18 lber this week so hes happy. it was a little scary setting out there and hearing boats coming up the river, wondering if they where going to see us in the fog. as for the current they was pulling some water but not like in the winter. i could hear two turkeys gobbling this morning in the fog that was kind of neat too.

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i went back to badin last night. fished until 4 this morning but i couldnt find the big the fish. they where pulling a fair amount of water last night. caught 6 channels. maybe the low preasure shut them down for the night. bait was hard to come by.

5. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    You see it wasnt you that lost it. You were just prepping it for the kid. Yeah thats it. During the handoff the line snapped. It was not your fault. Anyway at least you got to have some fun. Perhaps next time will be the charm.

6. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Hey Catfishrus, I fished Badin Fri. night until about 1 am. I got one good pulldown ona float rig up by the dam and caught a few perch. The wind started blowing and that pretty much killed it. Are you drifting downrods or freelines down by the southern island? How deep are you fishing down there? I've never tried it down there, but it sounds like I might need to. Oh yeah, plenty of big gizzards in the back of Garr Creek. 2 throws was all it took Fri. night. later!!