Badin report Jan16,06

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Tomahawk, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Well went to Badin this morning. Bait was pretty easy to get around Garr creek. DIdn't mark much around Old whitney area so I headed up river. I found they had two floodgates open and closed one later. I first tried at Whitehouse point and didn;t get much so I headed further up river. Fishing in the main channel I caught several channels and a 25lb blue. I moved back down river about 400yds and caught a nice blue. He weighted out at 40lbs. That thing really gave me a fit when I got him near the boat. Had alot of fun with him.

2. Mpayne

Mpayne New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    It was out on the lake on Sunday, and did not do near a well as you. I was up in the main river channel due to the amout of water they were releasing at the dam.
    I saw a lot of fish moving up and down the channel about 24ft deep. Also there was a Lot of wind early in the day which made it a challenge too. I had a couple questions about your comments. Where is Whitehouse point? When you look for bait up in Garr Creek are you going all the back in the creek or finding in side channels?

Glade to hear you caught a nice one

3. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey Payne as for bait I usally out there before daylight getting bait. It's alot easier to get. The shad can't see the net coming down on them until it's too late. I found them the other morning at the mouth of Garr creek. Later I noticed bait was all over, even way down the lake towars the southern island. As for whitehouse point thats just aplace I made up. It's not on a map. If they have the gates open you need to be fishing up river. I usally try anchoring in the main channel. Now when they have three or more gates open you have move off to the side because you can't anchor in the main channel, because of the current. I wasn't marking harly any fish yesterday but knew some had to be up there. The reason is because blues love the current. This time of year you will be bothered by those little white perch up there. You can't get around them. Going back out later in the week. See-ya.

4. Mpayne

Mpayne New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey Toma, Thanks for the information. I have never caught a fish on a rod & reel the size you have listed in many of your posts. I am curious about how you use the shad for bait? Do you find that you catch the larger fish on live or dead bait? I see many guys talking about using cut bait. You also hear about using large bait to catch large fish. What has worked for you at Badin? I hope to get back out on the lake this weekend assuming the weather cooperates.

Thanks

5. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    As for bait right now I would use cut shad. It works the best in winter. I use alot of live bait in the summertime. Mostly 3-5" baits like bream or whiteperch. I haven't done well on Badin using large baits. Some lakes are like that, they like smaller baits. I mostly cut the shad in three peices and put that on the hook. Or you can just flittet one side of the shad and throw it out. If the weather is nice might go out in the morning, See-ya.