Badin North Carolina report May 09

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Tomahawk, May 9, 2006.

1. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Well I went to Badi this morning and found a a good ne wind still blowing. Didn't know what to expect. I ended up catching about 6 flats from 5-12lbs. Also lost a real nice one that took a 6" bait. Also caught several nice channels one at 15lbs. Most fish didn't even start bitting till 0500. Catfishurs was also out there he'll probley post something later. There's alot of fish up river right now, channels and flats. If these fish were bitting in a ne wind I can't wait to see what happens when it quits. I never seen the water temp so cold for this time of year. It was still at 67-68*. Most of the time it's around 70-74*. See-ya.

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    robert you out done me and the first mate. we caught 2 flatheads 1 4lbs and the other 8lbs. i did mark a nice school of fish up river after first light and anchored over them. we missed the first couple bites that came real fast. then dad hooked into what looked like a good fish. he tighted the drag twice to get the fish up and it turned out to be a real nice striper at least 15lbs maybe 20lbs. all i got to see was the head and a flashing going back down. the hooked pulled out right at the top. but all in all a nice striper for badin. i only had one shad this morning and it went fast with the school of fish we marked. i would have paid good money for some this morning after see that school of fish. we settled for some nice size channels on cut white perch after the shad was gone. been over a week for me and it was good to be back on the water.

3. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Glad to hear that some fish are being caught. I'll be down this thurs. and plan on staying through saturday. Cancelled my trip to santee. Don't like going there by myself. Everyone cancelled on me. The last five times I've been fishing I ended up going by myself. I must be weird or have some bad body odor or something. I can't find anyone who is a die hard fisherman up here where I live. I wish I didn't have to travel so far, but there is no place to fish like you all have down there. Within 2 years I hope to live down around there. I am going to Badin thursday after I go by Norman and get me some shad. I put in at Badin/Alcoa landing if anyone of my fellow BOC members are interested. I have never fished at the dam and was wondering if someone could help me out on the safest way up to it. Everyone tells me to stay to the right as you go up, but that is to general for me. I can see the large rocks sticking out of the water and don't want to hit them. I mean do you stay 20 yards off the bank or 20 feet. Any help would be appreciated.

4. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    What's up Seaark? I would much rather get bait at Badin up by the dam. I just talked t Tomahawk and he said that in 2 throws of the net he had plenty this morning. Where do you get them at on Norman. The only place I know of is at McGuire hothole. Anyway, when you are going up to the dam there is a buoy on the right, I try to stay in the middle of that buoy and the bank. After the buoy there is a rock maybe 30 yds. ahead of it that is barely underwater. After you get past that rock, it gets prettydeep and you are OK as long as you don't go back in the rocks from the backside. As for fishing there are a lot of channels and flatheads up in that area right now. I haven't seen a blue in a while, I think they're down in the lake probably around the golf cours or the southern island. i haven't messed with the blues lately, the flats are too much fun. Beware there are some in there that will put a hurting on ya'. I think I'm goin' out in the morning and then I might try to go out Fri. night from dark until around midnight. I got a Tracker V-16 beige color, holler if ya' see me. I'll be with Tomahawk in his boat in the morning though. good luck, hope to see ya' out there, later!!

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey sea ark i dont mean to scare you but the rock that rookie is talking about was sticking up out of the water this morning about 4 inches. its pretty close to the end of the concrete wall. 25 yards below maybe. i almost got on it this morning coming back down when there was another boat trying to get bait and i gave him too much room. there is plenty of white bass and bream. the water looked to be down alittle maybe a foot or two. good luck to you guys this week.

6. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey Rookie12 and Catfishrus. I appreciate the info. Once I pass the buoy I'll use my trolling motor to get the rest of the way. I can see off the bow that way and avoid any unsitely dents in my boat. That would not be good. The reason I go by Norman is to bye some bait if he's got any. There is a place called Bobs Bait net and he is the only person in the state licenced to sell shad and he usually has some really good ones. Up to 6 inches some times. Can't remeber for the life of me what he charges or the name of the road it is on, but it is a couple of miles before you get to the 150 bridge. That way I am assured of having my favorite bait when I get there. Its about 25 miles out of my way though. I am not to good at catching shad. I know where to go and catch all the white perch, yellow perch and bream I want on Badin. I'll be targeting both blues and flatheads, and I hope the biggest ones in the lake come out to play. I've got 8 7000's that are just itching to play. I know they caught a 75lbs. blue around the 15 of April and I'll be looking for its parents. I'll probably hit High Rock also because that lake is absolutely full of flatheads and I mean there are some monsters in there. If there is one lake in the state that can hold its own with the Cape Fear river, it would be High Rock. I'll be in my 24 ft Seaark with a 90 hp Honda. Give me a yell if you see me and thanks again Rookie12 and Catfishrus.

7. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Where do you live in NC?
    I am learning High Rock and love it so far.
    We are just above Winston-Salem. Takes me about an hour to get from here and put in at the #8/Abbot's ramp.

8. Tarheel

Tarheel New Member

State:
    NC
    I'll second that. I've been fishing High Rock for a little over a year now and I really like the lake. Takes me 35-40 minutes from Winston-Salem and it is a solid lake for a consistant bite by something. You don't catch as many bruisers in the lake, but a good string of channel cats or a nice cooler of crappie is the norm.....We set up with light tackle for the channels and have alot of fun with the 3-9 pounders. Of course, I always throw out one rod with a live bluegill looking for that 40 pound flattie...... here kitty kitty kitty!

9. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I live in Hendersonville. It is about a 3 hour drive for me to get there. I fished Badin Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I caught a pile of small blues and channel in about 45 feet of water. Biggest was 5.5 lbs. I started to go fish High Rock, but the water is still just a little to cool. It needs to get into the 70 's. I had a live well full of bream, warmouth and white perch but let them go. I fish in a catfish club from North Carolina and have seen first hand what is in High Rock. Most people would not think that High Rock has that many big flatheads in it. Stringers well over 100 lbs. Around 125lbs. took first place and that is for 5 fish. Not bad. Not many people know it, but there are also blues cats in High Rock.

10. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    We have caught lots of blues in High Rock. Also caught channels. Now going after some of those flats like I have seen weighed in and released...lol

11. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Glenn, what club is it? NCCATS? The next time you want to go to Santee get in touch with me. My "significant other" Bill Roberts and his partner, Dana Bixby fish in NCCATS tourneys. Bill LOVES Santee and anybody who wants to go there! I can guarantee you that if he commits to go he won't back out unless there's a dire emergency! We live in Hickory, NC.

12. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Glenn, forgot to ask this: Do you know anything about Lake Toxaway? Are you allowed to fish there, or are there any fish there? (Any kind, not necessarily catfish.)

13. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I don't know that much about Lake Toxaway. I think there are trout and bream and bass. I'll see what I can find out about it. I do fish NCCATS when I get a chance. My work is keeping from fishing this year. The only tournament I've fished this year was Badin and catfishrus and his dad along with another team kicked every bodys butt. I'll get back to you about going to santee when I am able to get some time off. I am going back to school so that is definitly going to cut into my fishing this year. I need a career change in a bad way.

14. Tarheel

Tarheel New Member

State:
    NC
    There are Blues in High Rock? I've taken alot of catfish out of there, but I have never caught a Blue. How do you fish for them at the Rock? Same as Channel Cats?