Badin Lake

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Larry H., Aug 22, 2005.

1. Larry H.

Larry H. New Member

State:
    Mineral Springs,*State*
    Hows everyones luck in Badin Lake been lately?

Any reports?

Larry

2. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Well Larry it's been pretty slow latly. It will start picking up in Sept. I've been doing pretty good latly down at Falls dam below badin. Alot of smaller blues and flats on cutbait. I was at badin today and couldn't find hardly any cats over 35'. I guess thier still in thier summer mode. Can't wait till the big boys start bitting again. See-ya.

3. Larry H.

Larry H. New Member

State:
    Mineral Springs,*State*
    Where abouts in badin have you been fishing?

4. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    In the falltime the area around Old whitney can be pretty good. I usally fish out in the main channel anchored out from 30-40'. There's alot of fish in that area in the falltime because of all the bait. You can catch big blues, flats and nice channels. I've found the morning fish is better for some reason. Lake Tillery in the falltime can also be real good. Fish from the 24/27 bridge up to Mountain Creek.

5. Larry H.

Larry H. New Member

State:
    Mineral Springs,*State*
    Thank you,

Larry H.

6. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Went to falls dam this morning. Man, was it nice and cool out there. A sign of things to come. I got about 8 blues this morning. From 4-12lbs. Missed abunch also. Mostly fishing with cut herring from 30-40'. I had the whole lake this morning to myself. I really enjoy that. It nice to get away from it all and nobody bothers you out there. See-ya.

7. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Well from waht I've seen the blues are starting to move into the Old whitney area. This morning I caught a 5,12,25lber. Along with some channels and grey cats. I did see alot of big blues on the surface in the morning, so I know I was in the right area. All decent fish this moring came off of live shad near the bottom. Fishing at 35'. The water temp has dropped to 78*. Still waiting for that gaint flathead. Going out later in the week, See-ya.

8. mycat

mycat New Member

State:
    winston sa
    Picked up a 4 & 9 channel in Gar Creek Thursday . After I get my lights straighted up I`ll be over to check on Tomahawk. Gotem well after daylight.

9. yadkinangler

yadkinangler New Member

Is Badin as accessible to bank fishermen as it looks in the maps? Can you follow the trail along the lake and fish or is fishing only in small designated area? What hours can non-campers fish if they are not in a boat? Anyone got any tips or better spots to share?

I am thinking about spending some vacation time fishing, and would like to find a couple of spots to fish that I could do in a day trip or single overnight, and Badin and the Park look pretty good. Thanks for any information.

10. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Well I did pretty good this morning. I started out around Old Whitney and didn't mark much so I headed down to bigrock. I marked some real big fish suspended around bigrock. I anchored out and put down live and cutbait. I got a 15lb flathead right away on live shad. About 20min later I hooked into one I was looking for. He took about 25min to get in. It's not fun bringing up a big flat from 50'. He weighted out at 45lbs. I only got afew channels after that. I wasn't expecting hardly anything with a fullmoon. Now I need to get a flat over 60lbs. See-ya.

11. mycat

mycat New Member

State:
    winston sa
    Hay Yadkin

Bank access I know of .
    Take 1`st south bound rd east side of Tuckertown lake off 49 to Tuckertown Dam . Public bank access to Baden & Tuckertown till you get past dam. Old whitney boat boat ramp has fishing pier & access. A little deeper water there is at the railroad track. I know there is more access further south , thats where I have been. Seen afew small flats come from dam. Good luck.

12. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Well guys the fish were on fire this morning. I went back to Bigrock area marked some good fish. I anchored right on top of the rock. As soon as I put the baits down they started hitting. I was using live herring and small whitebass. Ina hour and half I got 11 flatheads from 10-40lbs. They flat wore me out. The 30lber was caught on a lighter outfit and he gave me a fit. The forty also but up a great fight. I was considering leaving even before it got light. At daylight I went up to the Old whitney area. I sawe tones on big blues on the surface but they wouldn't bite. The channel cats were going crazy though, couldn't keep any rods in the water. They were hitting from the surface down to 40'. As the sun came a heavy fog bank moved in and a ne wind picked up. So I called it. Before I left a huge blue cat came up right behind the boat, he must of weighted at least 50lbs. He was teasing me, I told myself ya just stay in the area I got all winter to catch your ass. Got pictures of the 30lber but forgot to get some of the 40lber. See-ya.

13. mycat

mycat New Member

State:
    winston sa
    Great stuff Tomahawk. Gonna try to give em a shot next week. Maybe we will run into you on the lake.

14. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I went to to Badin this morning caught me a bigun. I was fishing around the Old Whitney area. I didn't mark many fish in the area but I put out anyway. I was there about 25 min when i noticed that a downline, line went slack like it was on the bottom. I was about to grab it when the clicked started going out. I set the hook and it took off like frieght train. I fought him awhile and he finally came up close to boat. I didn't see him the first time but he left a huge boil. Then I knew he was pretty big. He came up a second time and saw he was a blue. I netted him. When I tried lifting him over the side of the boat is when I relized he was massive. It was still dark out when I caught him. He weighted out at 65lbs. Got some good pictures of him. What a day on tha water. See-ya.

15. CMJ

CMJ Guest

That's a nice one Tomahawk, I got the pictures. My brother-in-law and I went to Tillery on 10-1-05. We caught several nice channels and one small blue. I lost a real nice fish. It hit cut shad at about 34ft deep. Had so much pressure on the rod that I had a hard time getting it out of the rod holder. The drag was singing. The hook just came out after a short fight.

16. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Ya CMJ that's why all my rods I use for cats and stripers have light clickers on them. Sometimes when those big take off your not going to have time to loosen a drag to get it out of a rod holder. I caught that big blue a 7' ugly stick made for king mackeral. It has a soft tip but a good backbone. I was using a speciallized hardcore mono a friend gave me years ago. It's made for trolling spoons. So far I haven't been able to break that line and it's rated at only 17lb. When this rain moves out I'll be back out there somewhere. I got four days off starting Sat-wed , so you'll know where I;ll be.

17. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    The fishing has been pretty god latly. This morning I got some flats at 8,22,and 30lber. Also lost three other nice fish. Also got a couple of blues at 10lbs and alot of channel cats. All the fish this morning were hitting live bait. SHad/ herring. The water is dropping fast it's down to 72*. Up river I marked it at 69*. The big blues should start turing on here soon. See-ya.

18. fishfanatic101

fishfanatic101 New Member

What do you consider the best water temperature for the blues to really get going? I have been fishing Badin for the last couple of years and I'm beginning to develop a pattern. I fish the lake a in Sea Mark white center console with a yamaha 70. If you see me out there stop and tell me where the fish are bitting. :confused: Which Big Rock you are referring to. Thanks - Lee

19. crlail41

crlail41 New Member

State:
    Hickory NC
    Where are the ramps on Badin? Any on the upper part of the lake? Will be going there 28 Oct.

20. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    The blues usally start feeding pretty good when the water gets down in the mid-60's. That should be next week sometime. Right now it's at 72*. This weeks fishing really has sucked because of the full moon. I have a white/black colored starcraft, newer model. When the water hits the 60's Old whitney area should really start doing well. Right now there's so much bait out there it's not funny. See-ya.