Badin lake

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by killentime99, Sep 9, 2007.

1. killentime99

killentime99 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    put in at old whitney this morning.have to be carefull putting in the water is down. water temp 85 caught a few channels early on live bream.

2. skiff_2

skiff_2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Plan on putting in there next month. Hope there will be some more water by then. Alcoa site gives Narrows at 5.7 feet below full pond.

3. skiff_2

skiff_2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Just saw High Rock is down 7 feet and Badin is down 5.9 feet and projected to fall more. Couldn't find Tillery.

4. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I am going to give it a shot this weekend, between rains. Has anybody heard anything about Badin Shores boat ramp? I'm guessing it's alright it's in deep water, but dont know how long ramp is.

5. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure New Member

State:
    Mt.Pleasant,NC
    jerry9497,
    I think in 03 when they dropped Badin 16 feet I heard they extended that ramp, but I can't say for sure.

skiff_2,
    Here's the link to progress energy's lake levels for Tillery and Blewett Falls.
    http://www.progress-energy.com/aboutenergy/powerplants/hydro/graphs.asp

Here's a pic of the old dam and spillway, one is from 03 and one is original. Jim

Attached Files:

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thats a neat picture of the old dam jim. interesting at all the clearance on the trussle side back then. less than half that now. real interesting picture.

7. skiff_2

skiff_2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the link. Tried it before, but the site must not like something about my computer settings because I can't see the graph. Checked Alcoa just now & badin is down to 6.2 feet below and forcasted to continue falling.:sad2:

8. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure New Member

State:
    Mt.Pleasant,NC
    Hopefully this rain will pull through for us. It will help but we need a lot more.

Michael, part of the Whitney dam is still standing under those three buoy's, I've seen it with my gragh, and it looks real similar to the picture. But, I'd really like a picture of the tuckertown tailrace when the water was low. I was down there many times collecting lead when the water was low but foolishly didn't take any pictures. If anyone has any please let me know, that picture is worth a thousand fish.

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    jim that spot where the buoys is at is a big flat slab of concrete with what looked like notches cut in it. i was just down there the other day but didnt go too close to it. i feel sure you have seen it out of the water before though. those buoys have saved alot of motors.:smile2: i also heard there was a old model a ford truck in badin in that area. you might of seen it before. i heard the bed rails was sticking out of the water that year the water was really low. i also heard there was a old rock house that was still standing in badin somewhere. the rock walls that is. i took this as reliable information because the fellows grandpaw has had a house on badin for years and still does. bad part was the grandpaw has passed away and he dont fish so he couldnt tell me exactly what area it was in. away a couple more things that might hold a flat in there somewhere.:smile2:

10. killentime99

killentime99 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    If we dont hurry up and get some rain we may be able to find all these spots

11. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure New Member

State:
    Mt.Pleasant,NC
    Michael,
    I know of one "old rock house" called the Motel. It got it's name from what it looks like on the depth finder and not because it was ever a motel. It is definitely something a flat or two would hole up in, and the striper like to get around it in the spring. It would have been waterfront property when the Whitney dam was in operation. Badin is full of interesting history. Too bad the bomber is in 180+ feet of water that would be a good reef/wreck to fish. Jim

12. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    no wonder you took our money at badin....lol. got all them hotsopts!:wink: now if we could just find that catfish them divers seen so i wouldnt have to hear that story ever again i would be happy.:smile2:

13. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I was going out tonight to badin but now I think I'll wait it out...lol
    Head out in the mornoon lol not real early. how you think it will effect fishing, (weather)?

14. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey jerry everybody use to tell me ...."you need to go right before it rains"...well i tried that and all i got was wet!:smile2: really i think a cool off will help everything. i went this morning to get some bait for tommorrow and found a lost jug. nobody in sight and it was the only one i seen all morning. had a 30-35lb blue on it. i couldnt catch it with the trolling motor so i rod and reeled it on a bass rod i had. not a bad fight either. first time i took macs advice on tour. fishing and decided to go with out the cat rods in the boat. just for bait an looking around for tommorrow.:wink: guess what i left the dip net at home too.:smile2: had to lip that fish. my thumbs a little raw right now.:big_smile: be looking for that one tommorrow.:wink: now thats two big fish in the last month we have found like that. thats why some of us dont like jugging. just glad i found it before it died.

Attached Files:

15. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    It's bad folks go off and leave jugs like that. Over years I have trot-lined, jugged, limb line but always took my mess up and home with me. I mostly fish with rod and reel any more and like see the big ones go back. Glad you got that one before it was wasted. Good work