Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Badin Lake?

7K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  gearhead 
#1 ·
Ok all these good reports about badin lake im ready to make a trip down. First I need a little info. Where is old Whitney access? On GPS it doesnt show a boat ramp but it shows the town Whitney. There is a pumphouse road and trestle road. Is that where the Whitney access is? also is it public or have to pay? I plan to fish for blues during day and Flatheads after dark. i have never fished the lake so any info would be great. From the map i plan to fish from the trestle up to the dam. Is it safe to take a boat all way to dam? or is it rocky and shallow. Plan to catch bait below the dam if i can get to it. any info would be great.

#2 ·
Michael If you come from hwy 52 and turn on hwy 740 follow 740 towards Badin Old Whitney rd is on the left and you just follow it until it ends at the boat ramp. If you are looking at the water the dam is to the left beyond the train tressel bridge. You can go all the way to the dam but STAY TO THE RIGHT as you get closer to the dam there is a warning marker to the left for rocks and it is rocks LARGE ones all the way towards the bank. Bait has been in the tailrace below the dam. From the dam Id say about 500 yards away. Shad and herring are to be found in the turbulant water when water is released from the dam. I hope this helps if you need any other help just let me know and Ill get back asap.

#4 ·
micheal its up and down in there on the right hand side from 4-9ft. i just got back from fishing today and they was pulling a good amount of water today. i have 82lb trolling motor and it was all it could do to hold me striaght this evening. there was plenty of shad in there today but herring was scarce. i marked plenty of fish but my luck was short or tomahawk gave them a sore lip this morning. we caught 2 small blues and few channels before dark but the flats wouldnt hit for me after dark. there plenty of bait in the lake.

#5 ·
Well my uncle and I got down there at Whitney landing at 3:30pm yesterday and caught us some shad and herring up at the dam. We tried fishing for blues below dam, below trestle, all in front of Whitney and on farther down lake. We fished hard from 3:30 PM till today at 12pm. All night long and we caught 11 channel cats 0 blues and had 1 Flathead run but missed him. Right before daylight we pulled up in a small cove and anchored down to take a nap and i throwed out 3 rods with live bream near bank and woke up a hour later and rods still set there. We waited till daylight and i had one of the rods get a run just like a Flathead just started pulling the rod down but missed him. Where are the blues right now? We gave it our best shot for about 20 hours and didn't catch a blue. Lots of people Saturday was jug fishing in the main channel. We caught all our channel cats from trestle down to front of Whitney drifting. They ranged from 2-6lb. At least we got to look around on the lake some and get to know it a little. any info for blues would be great. We want to go down and give it another try as soon as we get some info. Its a 2.5 hour drive for us so we try to fish as long as we can. Maybe we can plan a day and meet some of the locals there that can give us some pointers.

Here's a pic of our channel cats.

#6 ·
Hello all!
Im Michaels uncle. We had a great time. :big_smile:

Badin lake is a fine lake! Wish we lived closer to there so we could fish it more often. We will be going back down there and trying our luck again.

Like Michael said we sure could use info on where the big blues are in there.

#7 ·
I fished Badin on Fri. night for about 4 hours. I caught one flathead about 18 lb. and several pretty nice channel cats. I was hoping for a big flathead, but I think that front shut them down. The wind was a real pian there for a while. I think I'm targeting blues next time. Oh, and as to where the blues are at. I don't think anybody knows where they are right now. I hunted them al month last month and only caught channels. I think your best bet is drifting. There are a lot of big blues in Badin, but they can be real hard to find. I'll let ya' know if I ever get a hold of 'em. later

#8 ·
I also fished badin saturday morning by myself caught two channels about 5 lbs i couldnt find any bait i just used cut bluegill maybe oneday i'll learn how to catch some bait with my throw net.I didnt mark any good fish where are they i stayed close to the train trussel and the upper dam, had to dodge jugs all day was anyone tending those things alot of them had fish . maybe next time:confused2:

G
#10 ·
I fished Badin this afternoon, didn't do too good but it was nice on the water. Got one small blue and 3 small whites. Found the shad about 75 yards past the tressel on the right side in 12 ft of water. Marked a lot of decent looking fish but no good fish caught. I hope Tillery is up enough this coming week......:big_smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.