Badin Lake "what causes this?"

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catfishrus, Jul 3, 2006.

1. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i fished badin last with my dad. the bite was really slow. we got 1 blue that was 10-12lbs and 1 channel and a bunch of white cats. i noticed that i couldnt mark any fish on my depth finders. there was so much static on the screen that it was blacking out down to 28 ft. had to turn the sens. way down to try and find fish but that didnt help much at all. i have seen this several times at badin in the dark but when i go back in the daytime its not there. i dont know if this coming from thermocline building up or boat traffic on the lake. its not bait. my dad said it may be plankton or something that shows up at night. anyway if any body knows i would like to hear about it.

2. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    gremlins they swim at night to mess with sonars.

3. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Hey Michael, Whatever it is, it happens to me too. When I am at Tillery in the mornings before daylight I see the same thing. When it gets light, it goes away.

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    catseeman i didnt think about the gremlins....lol. i did see one idiot out there last night with no running lights thou. i gave him some light with my spotlight in his eyes at 25 ft. i really think this has something to do with a thermocline because the screen is clear below 28ft. its not my depth finder because i have two x15mts on my boat and both of them do this. i might have seen a dozen arches below this area all night and i fished 3 miles of the lake. if you looked real hard you can make out some arches in all the static.

5. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I talked to a guide on Lake Norman that fishes for stripers up there last tyear about this and he said that what you are probably seeing is plankton and other small little creatures swimming around. he said they come further up in the water column at night. This is why you see shad on the surface at first light, and they go deeper later in the day. It makes sense to me! When daylight comes, all the little critters go back down. i would have never figured it out, but it makes sense. I assume it's more of a problem in the summer time also, but I don't fish at night a lot during the winter so I can't compare. later

6. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The only thing I could think of is at night, plankton are drawn to any kind of light and form real thick causing dark spots on your graph. Makes sense cause you still can read below them and mark bottom and fish.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    My theory, baitfish schools. They seem to come to the top at dusk and dawn and you can see them pop the top of the water if it is a glasstop morning.

I have actually had a false bottom reading of 2-3 feet when I was in 20 feet of water.

Try turning off your depthfinder and resetting it too, that may help with some false signals.

8. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Plankton, theres an article on it in last years catfish in-sider its called thermocline blues, it explains how at night the plankton will rise up above the thermocline and get real thick and so will the baitfish.Rookie12 hit the nail on the head.

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well i got to the lake early this evening and had a chance to watch this plankton. got there a couple hours before dark and nothing was showing until about a hour before dark, then noticed a little static starting to show a few feet from the bottom and by dark the screen was blacked out. fishing was still slow. caught 4 channels and 5 white cats. alot of white bass on top in the mouth of garr creek before dark. thanks for all the information on this. really hard to locate fish with the depth finder at night with all the plankton. thanks guys.