Badin Lake Tournament Results

Discussion in 'Carolina Catfish Club' started by WylieCat, Dec 13, 2008.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Carolina Catfish Club members fished Badin Lake for the first time in club competition and were greeted with beautiful weather. Clear sky's and morning temperatures in the upper 20's made for a comfortable day of fishing. While the weather was nice the fishing was not so good for most of the field. Four of the seven boats did not have fish at the weigh-in.

On his FIRST TRIP EVER to Badin Lake, Jeff Manning (Bowlerman) not only found the access area, but also found the FISH! Jeff brought a 32.6 pound two fish limit to the scales to take the win and also captured the big fish prize with a 26.4 pound blue catfish. Jeff even had to cull a nice 24 pound blue that put him over the 32" limit.

Cary Vanden Broecke (Billfish76) and Matt Barrett were a close second with 31.2 pounds, and that was enough to tie them in the points race Rob McHenry (Shrewboy) and Lindsay Bigham (BigBird) who failed to weigh in a fish. The tie breaker was decided by the biggest fish for the series, and that went to Cary and Matt from the Lake Wylie event, thus making them the 2008 Carolina Catfish Club Tournament Series Points Champions.

2. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    just goes to prove every dog has his day :smile2:, way to go cary and matt, next year we will have to split you to up :tounge_out: you guys done good .

3. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Congrats Jeff on the win today and to Cary and Matt on the points Championship:big_smile:

4. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Congrats on the win Bowler man.
    Those are nice fish for a weigh in.
    And hats off to you Cary. If 2009 is as good to you as 2008 was you'll be unstoppable.

5. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    This years CCC tournament trail might have been the best that we have ever had. Cary and Matt won on their home lake and Rob and Lindsay won on Rob's home lake. The toss up lake was Baden and our crappie man, Jeff, came thru in style. The points race had to be decided by the big fish method, man that is strong competition.

The old guard has been replaced by the new blood which is a good thing. But, we should not lose sight of the fact that the new blood learned a few tricks themselves from the old guard in the past years and that is what it is about.

But 2009 is a new year, and you have to wonder, will the old guard make a comeback or will the new guard protect their new found turf. Going to be a fun year, I can see it coming.

6. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Congrats to Jeff. Nice going-fishing was tough.Great job with culling the keepers.
    Also congrats to Cary and Matt. Couldnt have lost the points to a better duo.
    We fished hard all day but evidently upriver was not the place to be.
    I enjoyed the series and looking forward to the next opportunity.
    By fishing events like this I learn more in a shorter period of time than spending countless hours on my own.
    Lindsay

7. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Told you Bowlerman---you da man!!!:wink:

For a first trip to a lake that is pretty dang strong.

8. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I noticed the weights for the tournaments were pretty high even though only 2 fish were brought to the scales. The fish are less stressed and less of a burden for someone with a small boat to deal with. The field was also leveled and everybody was competitive which is the way it should be. Hats off to Wyliecat and CCC for coming up with a nice format for the club tournaments.

9. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    I was really happy with how many new tournament fishermen we had come out this year. The rules we have in place, the low entry feee, and the hours we fish make it easy for someone new to give it a try and see if they like tournament events.

"....By fishing events like this I learn more in a shorter period of time than spending countless hours on my own....."

Well said BigBird. It is amazing what you learn from seeing what others are doing, where they fish, and how they fish.

10. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Congrats Jeff on a good win. Bet you are glad you came after all.

This is the second year I have fished this series, and think its one of the best for learning. The low entry fee and 2 fish limit make things easy for the beginner, and keeps things interesting. All the guys seem to share info before the event to help others, unlike in other events the sharing comes after the day of fishing. I like fishing tournaments on new lakes cause if you pay attention to what others are doing and where they are going it can help you in the future.

Matt had some info on a good area from a friend of his and it payed off for us.

Im looking forward to next year.

11. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    thanks guys i appreciate it, i agree with the fact that this is the funnest tourney trail to fish. it is amazing how much i have picked up from members of this site. before joining you would have never caught me in water deeper than 25' fishing:embarassed: , drifting for catfish:crazy: no way would that work:roll_eyes: drifting is for crappie:embarassed: but now :big_smile: i am gettting some learnin and have found the errors of my ways ,

whats funny saturday as i was going up the lake i saw a pontoon anchored up from me and he was getting his lines out , i saw a small center console getting his lines out about 500 yards the other way ,i saw wyliecat looking around the area, so i said this would be a good place to set up if the locals fish here , so i set up about in the middle of them , well as i was fishing i noticed they were getting further and further away. then i realized they aren't catfishing they are striper fishing:smile2: but i had bait and fish arches and i had already caught about 5 small blues so i stayed for another hour or two , lucky i guess, and i also kept noticing a sandy bank across the way and i thought when i move i am going to go fish over there, well when the frost burned off i realized it was the golf course and i was fishing in the spot that a person from my crappie board had told me about, what a day:smile2:

12. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Bowler man thanks for the breakdown on what worked for you. We expect to see you at all the Ted's events on Wylie this year!! After your performance this weekend you should be in the running for the points championship at the end of the year!!

Like I have said before, competition makes everyone better. Most fishermen are competitive by nature, and some friendly low pressure tournament fishing can teach you some things you can use on your family weekend fishing trips. So far, in all the tournament series I have fished I have not seen anyone get worse as a fishermen; only better! :wink:

13. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    nice job!!!......RAT

14. 1bluedevil

1bluedevil New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    First of all congrats to Jeff and to Lindsay and Rob "Man that was close one"
    This was my first year in the C.C.C. and my first catfish tournament fishing experiance. I have been fishing all my life but I learned alot fishing this tournament series. I know that some of the best catmen around North and South Carolina are part of this club and if you fish with the best you can only get better! I enjoyed every tournament and always looked foward to seeing everyone. I think that the leadership of the C.C.C. is first class and that is what makes this tournament series lots of fun competiton. Im ready for it to start over again!