Badin Lake Fish Advisory from NCWRC

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by DCcatfisher, Jun 23, 2009.

1. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Badin Lake
    (Stanly and Montgomery counties)

Catfish and largemouth bass.

No consumption by women of child bearing age or
    children under 15. No more than one meal per week for all other people.

PCBs

This is straight out of the new regulations book for the 2009-2010 season. You can view it online here...

I know that they list new items in red, but has there been some sort of advisory in the past? Maybe just not as strict? Didn't know just thought I would ask.

2. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I think thats the same warning for all lakes. seems like it used to be a cliped section on a page seperate from the text area...probably because they added it to text it is red. They did a test several months ago, it confirmed what they already knew. I dont understand why they keep pin pointing Badin other than the state wanting to take over hydro electric plant, but they want to do that at every hydro electric plant in the state. If there was danger in the fish at Badin and the Yadkin above any other. you would have heard it from families,doctors,friends... there is to many fish eat from the lake for years and years to have to find this out from a study, a study to find reasons to take control of NC rivers from private companies. Thats how I feel about it, not saying the fish are safe to eat, just saying what lake is? Politicans will say or do anything to try and get their way:confused2:

3. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I know for several years there was an advisory on carp, catfish, bass, and bowfin on the yadkin river south of the I-85 bridge for mercury but they lifted it a few years ago. I will have to agree on the eating of fish, as I have eat plenty from the river and have not seen any bad side effects, at least not yet.

4. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Lake Norman has the same advisory. I'm thawing out some blues for supper right now.

5. skiff_2

skiff_2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've been told by a local that there are commercial catfishermen on Badin. If there were any unusual risks, the state would have stopped them. I did see a guy checking a large trap on up above the trustle at Whitney one time.

6. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Oh no , my eye has inverted and the other is looking at me with evil intent!!! I guess those 2 fish from Uwharrie are kicking in!!:smile2::smile2:!

7. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Sorry bud, you are wrong. The state of NC does not police the inland commercial fisherman as it relates to catfish nor where the restaurants get their fish from. Fish houses on the coast are inspected, but none that I know of inland.

8. skiff_2

skiff_2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Wow,I don't know much about the food service industry. I just thought someone was inspecting the meat, poultry and fish we are being served in restaurants and sold in stores.