Badin Lake, December 29, 2009

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by tuscan toadfish, Dec 30, 2009.

1. tuscan toadfish

tuscan toadfish Member

State:
    Matthews,
    I got on Badin Lake at 11am and fished till 2am. 15 Hours without getting a good bite, baitcast clickers never sounded once. I fished frozen shad, up river and down, anchored in 9 locations, deep (45 feet) to shallow. I don't know what was worse, sitting at a location and have the rods do nothing, or go to a place and have the rod tips bumping and reel in nothing but a shad's head or mauled body. I don't know if there are turtles in 40 feet of water or if it's fish too small to eat an entire 5" shad at once.

2. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Probably those damn bullheads. Until a trip up there recently , I'd never have guessed they would eat big chunks of shad. Based upon my experience and what I've heard , Badin is hit or miss. Although I have had plenty of firsts there , those have been under 8 pounds.

3. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    try small cut peices and see if you don't get more hook ups.

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Agree on both comments could be bullhead or turtles. Smaller bait is a good idea to maybe catch ahold of the the fella biting.

5. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    down size on hooks an bait this may help

6. tuscan toadfish

tuscan toadfish Member

State:
    Matthews,
    Thanks for all the great advice. I guess I could downsize my 5" whole shad and the 8/0 circle hooks. But the truth is: I don't want to catch these small bullheads. If it was one fish, yea, I'd use him for bait. But I had 8 rods out in 40' of water (actually rods on left of boat in 20' and rods on right in 40' - 50'), most tapping on the deep rods, and there would be several rod tips tapping at the same time (baits over 50 yards away from each other). This is on the east side of Palmer Island, also happens at the south/east side of Palmer Island.

Does anyone know where I can find a topo water depth map of Badin Lake? All the maps I find only show outlines of the lake, plus landings, bouys, etc. Also, are the big blues uplake or down, in shallow or deep (Badin drops to 170' deep). I have heard deep (35'-60') in the main down-river lake, but I have fished dam to dam, without success. I guess the only places I haven't tried are the shallow flats (under 10' deep), and over 60' deep water. I mostly hit cove openings, the main river bends, ridges and trenches, etc.: where I can cast in different directions and fish different depths. I also try to target places my depth finder indicates larger fish on the bottom.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...Does anyone know where I can find a topo water depth map of Badin Lake?..."

The new (2009) Navionics card has detailed mapping of Badin.

I hate Badin Lake. It has wooped me several times. There are great fish in the lake, some monsters, but the lake can be fickle.

Right now "the bite" is bad everywhere it seems, so don't feel bad. You may have picked the wrong day to have off work.

:wink:

8. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    I have caught several blues (not at Badin) in 30 lbs range biggest so far 36 lb flat heads 30 40 and 59 lb all on cut shad. Not large piece. If I am getting lot of bites but no hook ups I size down at least until I know what is biting. Good luck. I had hard time fishing at Badin myself but there is some hogs in there.
    Works on Moultrie.

9. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    ted, i fish there alot.. havent been in a month or so, but ive got a spot baited up near a swimming area,i go there 2 times a week and throw out soy bean and millet. i catch alot of carp and several 2-5lb cats in this spot. its off hwy 52 near the town of badin. try that area next time your out there.

10. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I caught a 10 lb 11 oz striper off the end of my dock last weekend 1/2/10, on a large gizzard shad head on a 7/0 hook. I was cat fishing on the bottom with a carolina rig. Fish wacked it and my bell went off, i reeled in and line was very slack, kept reeling cause i knew the line was acting funny then the circle hook stuck him and fight was on. Rippin drag floppin around. Caught him about 10 feet of water. New it wasn't a cat when he started jumpin. Didn't know Striper bit cut bait, must of been hungry. Pleasant suprise when i wasn't planning on catching anything.

11. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yeah, they'll hit that cut bait. I've caught all but two of my stripers (not that it's a whole lot like 4 or 5) on cut bait. I've even seen them caught on livers!

12. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the response.