Badin Lake and High Rock from the bank

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by dhjunkie, Jun 23, 2008.

1. dhjunkie

dhjunkie New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Fished just below (behind) Tuckertown dam on Friday night. This was my first time fishing this area. Didn't get any bites. I kept getting hung up. I tried pyramid and coin style sinkers. Were they getting caught in between rocks? There were quite a few people fishing up closer to the dam behind a railing. I didn't see them having the same problem. Do I need to suspend my bait just above the bottom and drift it through the area? I appreciate any help. After getting skunked there we went to a bridge on Hwy 8 that crossed over High Rock near some railroad tracks. There were a bunch of boats fishing for crappie under the bridge. Skunk was there to. At least didn't lose any more tackle. Thanks in advance for any and all advise.

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    A lot of fishermen use slip floats at dams where there is a lot of rocks.

3. dhjunkie

dhjunkie New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'll give that a shot next time I go.

4. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    The bottom up river close to the dam is pure rock and snags. It's a hrd place to fish. If they got currne t going floatrigs don't work too well because they get pulled down river too fast from shore. Even in a boat I usally don't fish on the bottom up there. If they don't run water the bite up there by the dam is usally real slow. Theres not many shore areas that are good fishing on BAdin. Shore acess is becoming sparce.

5. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I fish the bottom behind dam, I use the slip cork in my leader. It's in the libary. I use a large weight so perch cant move it much/long. I also use my driting rods with the slinky weights (ask if you dont know) with the cork on leader. it works ok for cut bait but a bream or perch can run all over with it, I dont get hung up much as long as I can stay anchored. but I 100% agree with Tomahawk, when they current is not there the bite slows a ton. Theres better fishing elsewhere.

6. dhjunkie

dhjunkie New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We're going to try Tuckertown behind (below) High Rock dam next month. Can I expect the same conditions as far as rocks and snags?

7. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    If you fish around any of the dams on the Yadkin lakes your going to find alot of rock. Thats main structure in these lakes around here.

8. Thenutslanded

Thenutslanded New Member

State:
    Archdale, North Carolina
    i only know of one spot down at badin that is even half way good to fish at and its about 2 or 3 miles down a gravel road down at uhwarrie but if i rember right its called the deepwater horse camp and you get to it by goin in the main gate entrance . the best way i can tell ya how to get there is get on hwy 109 heading to tory and follow the uhwarrie sighs to the deep water horse camp i hope this helps ya

Daniel

9. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Thenutslanded, I think you might be fishing Falls Dam if you're fishing where I think you are, or maybe somewhere on Badin that I don't know about. I fish up by the dam some certain times of the year. For the smaller fish, you can just throw cutbait with no weight and doo pretty good, but if they are running water, it won't work. The bigger fish will bite when the water is moving and it's hard to fish off the bank for 'em. I don't know what to tell you on that one.

10. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I meant to add that if you just want eater size fish and want to fish from the bank, go to the Wildlife landing off Bringle Ferry road at HIgh Rock and fish in there. Saw a guy with a cooler full of channels fishing in there, He was using hogwild dip bait. just a thought for ya'

11. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I assume that you can fish from the bank at the Abbots Creek landing at High Rock. Several years ago I saw a guy with a bucket full of nice channel cats and he had a couple whoppers in there too. Probably in the 10-12lb range. I can't remember what he was fishing with. We've also caught catfish near the HWY8 bridge in Flat Swamp. I don't know how the bank access is down there now but you could get near it last time I was there.

12. Thenutslanded

Thenutslanded New Member

State:
    Archdale, North Carolina
    Heres a map that will kinda let you know about were im talking about i marked it with red blocks so you can see were it leads too it goes back in there and down a hill kind of over a few dirt speed bump things and i havent never seen much water flow back there from the times i been down there

[​IMG]

this link works better than the pic Attached

Attached Files:

13. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Go to badin and fish for the big ones you can fish off the railroad tracks from Old whitney.

14. deepwoods

deepwoods New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I wanted to pass along an idea I saw in an article I read. It is to make a wieght that does not get hung up as easy.

Cut a 4 inch piece of parachute cord. Take out the center peice. Then fill with split shots (bigger ones). Fold over each end and melt a coffee stirer to seal. Use a swivel on each end for line connection. This type of wieght should not snag as easy. I have not tried this but the article was written about river fishing which tends to have more snag issues.

15. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Those are called slinky weights and are used around here for drift fishing. I don't like taking the time to make them, so I use bank sinkers and I see no difference in the bank sinkers and slinky weights as far as hangups. And I think you are fishing Falls Dam, thenutslanded.

16. Thenutslanded

Thenutslanded New Member

State:
    Archdale, North Carolina
    Yeah i done a lil be reserch and thats what it looks like thanks guys for letting me know what that part of the lake was call ^5:wink:

Daniel

17. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure New Member

State:
    Mt.Pleasant,NC
    Deep water access is in UNF on FR 576, it's an unimproved ramp. Horse camp is the primative camp site on the hill above Deep Water Access. Coming from the south of the lake it is a long ways to get to Falls. It's a long windy gravel road that washes out in places to get to it, sometimes almost a 2 rut (4 wheel drive wouldn't be a bad idea). I took a wrong turn one night and ended up driving up a goat path w/no where to turn around. I finally got to turn around but it wasn't easy, like an 18 point turn :smile2:. There is kinda limited fishing from the bank there on Falls and the water isn't very deep within casting distance but, the ramp isn't half bad as far as unimproved ramps go. It also gets patrolled by park rangers, so don't get to crazy w/the fires or beers.
    Has anyone been to Lakemont on Badin since they paved it? I'll bet it's nice now, considering it was dirt before.

18. Thenutslanded

Thenutslanded New Member

State:
    Archdale, North Carolina
    im pretty sure thats why they put them big ole speed bumps goin down that road to keep out people launching boats but im not sure on that

19. dhjunkie

dhjunkie New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've never used dip bait. How would I need to set up for that? Does it involve a treble hook/sponge type of set up?

20. smackdab

smackdab New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Im going to be takin' a guy out this weekend on my boat that wants to buy it. I want to put him on some big cats from the boat so he sees it can be done. Where is the best spot this time of year for the flatheds at night on Badin?