Badin Lake advice

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by CKT, Feb 20, 2007.

1. CKT

CKT New Member

State:
    Winston-Salem,NC
    I have fished Badin for cats and never had much luck at all i think a 10 lb flathead was all i caught where are some good areas to fish on badin for large cats , are there many large cats in badin?

2. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    welcome CKT
    Thats a good question, The state record was caught there recently. He'll prob respond. There is a tournment coming up so not sure any honey holes will be talked about but I want to here the smack they going to talk. I want to know a little about Badin myself.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    All you will get for advice is generally information until May 13th. That is the last NCCATS tournament there this year!!! Too much money on the line in these for anyone to tell you anything.

Mudkip and myself fished there today. We had a 22, 32.9, 37, and 41.6. The problem was they were on the sonar unit and not on a hook!!! :lol:

We rode around more than anything. Neither of us have ever fished for cats there, so it was an exploratory mission. We rode up river and looked around and it looked promising at some point in the year, but there was no current. We checked out some creeks and coves and were impressed with the bait and fish sign. The wind was really bad on the lower lake and we had some nice swells.

First time I have seen 180 feet on a graph on a lake. Deeeeeep water.

4. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    you won't get much info. until after that tournament. All I will say is use shad and try drifting and anchoring. Both have their place. Nice lake ain't it Wyliecat. Now you know why we love it so much!!!!! It's awesome, but it will beat your butt sometimes too. later

5. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    This is in responce to the quote below by WylieCat

"Mudkip and myself fished there today. We had a 22, 32.9, 37, and 41.6. The problem was they were on the sonar unit and not on a hook!!! :lol: "

I sure hope you put an X on the side of the boat where you marked those nice fish so that you can find them when you go back! I know your partner marked them on his map, just in case you forgot to mark the boat.

6. Live Baiter

Live Baiter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    CKT, I think badin holds the biggest blues on the yadkin chain. I caught the state record there back in nov. 25. You here of more big fish caught there than any other lake on the chain.

7. Live Baiter

Live Baiter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Dieter, Did you catch any fish today? I did not do anything today. That wind was to rough. We left about 10:00 am. Said the heck with it :sad2:

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    No fish. We tried some places out of the wind, but it was futile. It was a good chance for us to learn our way around the lake. We hope to get back up there in the next few weeks and fish some more.

Rookie is right, it is a beautiful lake. You guys are lucky to have it in your backyard.

BTW, whats the deal with all the houses and cottages on the hill at Garr Creek? Are those summer houses, rentals, or do people live there year-round?

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    BTW, whats the deal with all the houses and cottages on the hill at Garr Creek? Are those summer houses, rentals, or do people live there year-round?[/QUOTE]

all of the above except the rentals. not sure about any rentals. thats badin shores resort and they have a web site. its a gated community with alot of family things to do like swimming pool/game rooms/ playground. good chance for a poor man to live at the lake....lol. prices start at 25k for lots with camper over the hill and then on up as come over the hill towards the lake. really not a bad deal for the broke at heart when it comes to lake property.

10. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I bought into it. It looks like a miniture city to me, office,resturaunt,realty, pool and other stuff. I was on waiting list at half a dozen campgrounds around here for 2 years. I got 1 call back and it was to small for camper. I decided to just buy lot. good deal? prob not. but if you want to get on the water around here you have to dig deep. It's done now so I'm just going to relax and camp! Maybe I can do a Badin fish report one day!

11. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I think the best catfishing at badin is at the lower dam , in some of the deep holes in the winter :big_smile: .

12. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Oh yea with stink bait :wink: (OMO) = WHAT !

13. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    If I fished near lower dam it would be with magnet. Try to catch me a B25 bomber!! that would be a wall hanger for sure!!

14. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    From what I read, the old bomber should be between Palmerville Mountain and the lower dam so you would be in the right area. I guess it's silted over now but just think of what a catfish haven it must have been! I wonder how much mud is covering it now. Sometimes I think about whether it would be possible to find it now with a good color sonar unit.

15. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    guys you should look that story up on the web. i found a story on it and it was real interesting how they used dynamite to try and locate it back then. they went to the local hardware to get the dynamite too. man things have changed. its worth reading if your interested in badin. good history behind that story on the b52.

16. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    "Sometimes I think about whether it would be possible to find it now with a good color sonar unit."

I dont think it's silted over. they have pictures of (stuff) they took in 1999 and 2000. but they said the forest still standing stong on the bottom. they were using military side scan sonar after finding it on magnometer first. Plane is there. but pilots are not there. They think plane broke up with pilots still fastenend in their seat. not with main part of plane. Report also said that since it was so hard to bring the plane up and extensive work it would need to be displayed that it was not worth bringing up. as for the pilots, They are a needle in a muddy haystack and said it would be futile to continue to look. I was interested in it myself if you can't tell. I searched on internet and found the report on it.it started from before it crashed in 1944 until 2000. long reading and hard to keep up with but informative.

17. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hard to say:big_smile:

18. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I think there is one in Tuckertown too isn't there? That would be a flthaed magnet though. see ya

19. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    They wouldnt give a location, just an area as descibed above. I was intereseted because I am scuba certified and thought it might be fun to look for. I was wrong. to start with; since the pilots are still there it is a protected grave site. that goes for any wreck that has people un-recoverd. but besides that the wreck is around 180 ft deep. well beyond the 130' recreational diving limit. you can go beyond it but need different equipment. my air would prob last just long enough to get down and right back up because you would have to go slowly. the next negitive thing would be the muddy water and silt. then theres the fact that no natural light will be that deep. then there is the problem of a forest standing from the bottom, surly covered with some limbs to get hung up on. throw in a good current when they are pulling and that about kills any thoughts on looking for that thing. but it is there!!

20. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey jerry how about a fishing rod in 60ft of water.....lol. i know where one is at.:wink: if you do real good i got a pair of pillars in 90ft too.:tounge_out: heck i might need to hire you on full time. my partner has picked up some slick things in my boat before. he always says "man that was the slickiest pair of pillars,flashlight,and on and on". dont let him use anything over the top of water.