Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Badin Lake 5/26/08

812 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  bigdmat 
#1 ·
Went w/ my brother (Monstercatmatt) yesterday to Badin for some afternoon cattin and man what a time we had!! Really had trouble catchin bait....mostly lookin for perch ....they were catchin shad by the bucket fulls right on the walls of the dam but no matter how hard we tried we just couldnt find the perch. We wound up w/ 1 perch and other baitfish and went fishin. 1st drift produced a blue bout 5lbs went back and set up for another drift across the same path. Put out 6 cat rods and one bait rod hopin to catch some perch while doin a lil cattin..... then all HELL broke loose......I look over to see my little bitty Zebco33 reel and 6' rod doubled over and thought it was snagged..... when I picked up on it though I could feel a fish and figured it wasnt nothin to get exited about......seeing as how there was only a SMALL PIECE OF NIGHT CRAWLER ON A #2 BAIT HOOK...... guys this lil rod stayed doubled over like that for at least 20 min and I landed my PB flathead @ just over 17lbs on a Zebco33 reel spooled w/ 12lb test.. During the fight I managed to draw a small audience from a ski boat who were circling to pick up ther skier when I hooked up w/ this fish.......they left their skier just floatin in the water while they all watched the fight. I got an applause when we landed the fish. Man if yall wanna really challenge yourselves land a fish like that oon a tiny lil bait rod.....Ill give this to Zebco.....Ive now got a whole new outlook on there lil ol' 33's!!! Over all we caught 1 blue, 2 flatheads, and 2 channels. 2nd flat caught in the cast net right next to the dam. Turned em all loose exept for the Blue which went to my Dad!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Nice fish!! I was fishing Badin last week and caught a small flattie on a bait rod. It was only about 6 lbs but a heck of a fight. couldn't imagine what you went through. Thanks for sharing your story and hope to see you on the water!! i'm at badin every weekend!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.