Badin lake 4-28 & 30

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by CKT, May 1, 2009.

1. CKT

CKT New Member

State:
    Winston-Salem,NC
    went tuesday morning and only caught 3 channels in the 5-10lb range and the wheels were on. went back thursday morning and the wheels were barely running and had no luck until about 11:30am caught 4 small 3lbers and one 14lb blue and hooked up with what appeared to be a large fish, the drag was screeming and the rod bent double and the fish broke the leader (right at the hook) as we were getting the rod out of the holder ! would have loved to seen the fish, maybe next time. The fish dont seem to be in the usual spots, im kinda wondering if the blues may be spawning right now on badin?

2. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I know the feeling. timing is everything at badin.
    I caught this one saturday morning. but couldnt do anything saturday night for a tournement. it's 47 lbs

Attached Files:

• 47.jpg
      47.jpg
      File size:
      28.7 KB
      Views:

3. Thenutslanded

Thenutslanded New Member

State:
    Archdale, North Carolina
    They sure dont seem to be in the normal spots for sure. We been going down to high rock fishing in abbots creek and we was catching them last year at this time. It seems that they are not there at the same spots, its awful weird but thats why they call it fishin' not catchin'.

4. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I find most of my holes for blues are only holes at certain times of the year and for a short time. then they move and if I find them it will only be good a couple or few weeks and it dies off. spawn may be early or late so your hole may pick up before long.

5. carolinamudcat

carolinamudcat New Member

State:
    Raleigh NC
    I've been fishing Badin Lake for 3 years, always the same spot, off a dock in a medium sized lagoon. Some days/nights I've caught 5 or 6 good sized fish (10-20lbs) the other times either nothing or nothing over 1 or 2 lbs. I have no idea why, it might be because of time of year or water temperature but I don't have a boat so I just take my chances and have a good time regardless. The last time I was out (last week) I tried a little experiment with bait. I had 5 rods baited the following ways: 1 with liver, 1 with live bream, 1 with cut in half dead bream, 1 with live bluegill and 1 with cut dead bluegill. That night I caught 3 cats on the liver and had no bites on the rest. Any suggestions on good bait to use for a trophy size blue? Catching 5/6 pounders is fun but I'm ready for something over 30lbs. I know they're in there, the NC state record for Blues was set in this lake!

6. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Mudcat ;welcome to the BOC ;from wilm. nc. my son an i r going to badin today to try to catch some cats never fished it before; hoping for beginners luck

7. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    I've heard of 100lb blues caught on limb lines there but nothing real big on rod and reel. Thought about trying Badin out a few times just haven't gotten there yet. How's the flatheads there?

8. mycat

mycat New Member

State:
    winston sa
    Welcome Mudcat Liver has worked for me on 10 lbs. & under. Smaller cat at Baden hit blackberry dough pretty good. If you are bank bound try those small black bream, I think they are green sunfish for the big boys. Of course shad is the best.

9. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    plenty of flatheads at badin but I personally havnt seen one over 40 lbs. several people have caught them bigger but thats what I have seen. Blues on the other hand grow to monsters at Badin. The state record was caught and released just a couple years ago @ 89 lbs. My personal best is 67 lbs and I caught a 56 in march. 30s and 40s I have lost count of. but I have also lost count of the skunks. :confused2: I was talking to the lady at marina last weekend and she said someone came in wanting to use some scales, she didnt have any but the guy said they were striper fishing and caught a "catfish" over 100 lbs. personally I don't think it was that big I think they were just suprised at the size of the fish. There's no talk of a new state record so I'm guessing they were a little off if they weighed it.:big_smile: but I do think there is cats that big in there no doubt.

10. quadrunner42029

quadrunner42029 Member

State:
    NC
    i agree there are countless fish over 30 lbs so theres got to be some huge ones that just lay around and not get caught badin is a pretty good size lake with lots of food for cats between all brim shad and god knows the mussels every blue cat ive ever cleaned almost out of badin always has those lil mussels/clams or w/e in there stomach most not even cracked just the whole shell. im waiting for one the size of moby dick to tow my boat around a little haha i can always dream cant i?

11. carolinamudcat

carolinamudcat New Member

State:
    Raleigh NC
    I've never tried catfishing with shad, mainly because I have no idea how to catch any from the bank. Any ideas or pointers?

12. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    if you can throw a cast net you can usally get them around lighted docks, and at badin you can drive to tuckertown dam and throw over the rail.