Badin LAke 3/15/08

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Tubby Catfishin, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Hwy Guys Had a good time today..... couldnt find the fish ( I think they were on strike today.) I caught one white cat and MonsterCatMatt caught 2 decent channels! All in all it was worth it just to be on the lake today for a bit!! Once the thunder git there we tucked tail and hauled A**.

Attached Files:

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Hey man it beats what I caught last night:smile2: I managed a skunk and a few bites that's it. I had to sit there and watch McLean reel in two flatheads, oh well at least somebody caught something. You'll figure it out eventually man, those big bodies of water like Badin are tough to conquer but with enough time on the water it'll click eventually. Thanks for the report.

3. bigdmat

bigdmat New Member

State:
    lexington,nc
    just spent a week at badin and didn't catch anything worth bragging about.learned alot about the lake though.big water and deep is somewhat intimidating.had a good time though.we will get them next time.

4. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Hey, at least you got on the water, that second pic is a small blue cat....:wink:

5. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I havnt done real well at Badin latley.in about 3 weeks. maybe the bite is off.I have caught eaters and white or bullheads but only 1 15lb in 3 weeks. I have 5 days this coming weekend and I plan to catch a monster during that time. I hope all the stars and moons line up and the bar rises and primetimes watch goes coo coo and the bite comes back. next weekend

6. bigdmat

bigdmat New Member

State:
    lexington,nc
    I have been learning how to tell what type of catfish i have been catching and hear is what I came up with. the blue cat has 30 to 35 rays in the anal fin where a white cat has 19 to 22 and its chin whiskers are white.found this link that may help http://www.floridaconservation.org/fishing/Fishes/catfish.html

Jeryy, I hear ya on the bite .I hope it picks back up myself.Maybe I will see you on the water next weekend.

Since we are on the subject of different cats.I found one area that I have been fishing that produces tons of whites and was wondering if that is all I would catch from that area or have I not lucked into a blue there yet?

7. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I was out there Fri. night until about 1 am and only managed two fish, biggest was a 10 lb blue. had a nice fish hooked, but he got off. I found 'em, but they just wouldn't hit. Had another friend out there and they struggled too, so it wasnt just me this time!

8. Tubby Catfishin

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    You know it sucks that the bites not really good right now but it feels kinda good knowin Im not the only one out there not catchin em. Hope everyones luck turns around real soon!! And about tellin species apart by the anal fins..... I have a quick reference and didnt even think to look at it..... Just figured it to be a white cat being so lightly colored. I guess one of these days Ill get it!!

9. Tubby Catfishin

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Meant to tell you guys that after we took the pics of the fish we turned em back to the water.

10. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Thanks for turning 'em back! Did you find fish shallow or deep? I got my bigger blue out of 40 ft. on a ledge. The little one was in about 30 ft. The fish were scattered and looked like they were feeding to me, but they sure wasn't. I saw my biggest arch on my graph I've ever seen Fri.night though. It was as long as the entire screen and 1/4" thick all the way across....... it didn't bite! I'm betting all the fresh water from the rain has things stirred up and they just got the lockjaw right now. I'm sure they were biting somewhere though, I just didn't move around enough to find 'em. When you're just fun fishing, I just like watching the rods bounce and sitting back and relaxing. Did ya'll get bait OK Tubby?

11. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    ok heres some practice. what kinda cat is this? it has no spots. didnt count the ray stuff

Attached Files:

12. rahughes

rahughes New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Tubby what side of the lake were you in. I have a place at badin shores and I am taking the grand kid to fish from the pier in gar creek and did not know if any cats were in that area this time of year. anyone know thanks.

13. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    well at least you got something, i was out both sat and sun at oak hollow, got some faint bites but thats bout it. sunday i was floating a shad and got a highbreed stripe 2lbs but that was all. I was able to get bait easy. the wind made it hard to get a good drift. with the front comming in on saturday one would think that it would have turned on the cats but nope. May be i'll get out this comming weekend.

14. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    It's a channel cat.

15. Tubby Catfishin

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Yea found bait in Garr Creek just before the large boat docks..... a very nice crappie fisherman actually pointed me to em (thanks stranger) Caught that lil blue just outside of Garr creek and those two channels came from the next cove down river from Garr. Rodger my first trip this year to Badin I never left Garr Creek and caught 4 nice channels in that lil cove just before you leave the mouth. Caught em on shad..... some whole and some cut but this past sat only caught fish on whole shad!! I really wanna get my hands on one of those big fighters and some day I will and yall gonna be the first ones to know it!! Might throw myself a party!! LOL Best of luck to all you guys and leave some fish for me!!!

16. Tubby Catfishin

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    I would also say channel due to the light color and forked tail?? But who am I to say? LOL