Badin and Falls Dam report 9-2-06

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Bream baiter, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Bait is scattered in the river at Badin. Caught 4 catfish in the cast net. One was a 4 lb. blue. Lots of small catfish shallow in the river. Marked a bunch of good fish at 35 feet down from Old Whitney area but they wouldn't bite. Went to Falls Dam to fish. Marked lots of fish at 44 ft. Caught 5 blues. Two @ 5 lbs., 1 @ 6.5 lbs., 1 @ 11.5 lbs., and 1 @ 15.5 lbs. Fish were caught in 48 to 53 ft. of water a few feet off the bottom on cut shad. The fish didn't want live bait today. I missed about 5 or 6 fish that really made hard pulls. I marked one small group of fish that were definitely bigger than most of the other fish marked. I stayed on those fish the whole time at Falls. The fishing was as good as it was back in early June.

2. jfwillia1998

jfwillia1998 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Awesome morning. Way to keep at it!

3. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Thats good news, rick. Thanks for shareing. What time of the day/night was the bite on? I'm guessing early morning because of the depth. ???

4. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I fished at Falls Dam from around 9 to about noon. Those fish stayed the same depth all morning and only moved about 30 or 40 feet the whole time I was there. They kept me busy for awhile. I missed some fish because they hit while I was fighting another.

5. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey Breambaiter did they have any gates open up river on Badin? Also what was the water clarity on both lakes. I can't get out until monday, deciding what and where to go.

6. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Congrats! It sounds like you had a great time.

7. turfman

turfman New Member

State:
    SC
    Hey Tomahawk if u get out Monday can u let me know the clarity of Badin. I am going down on Monday night or very early Tuesday Morning. Thank You or anyone who knows if it is clear at all. Good Luck to all and if you catch a big one let us know. I dont get out much anymore but love hearing about all the fish Tomahawk and you other guys catch.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Sounds like the fish are coming back to life and it sounds like you had a good time. Congrats on your catch.

9. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Both lakes have clear water. No water running through either dam. Tomahawk, the good fish that I marked at Badin were in an area that you showed me between the boat ramp and big rock on the boat ramp side of the lake. Some scattered fish at the rock but nothing that looked big. I think flatheads at Falls Dam until daylight then switching to blues there would probably be your best bet. Just don't get anywhere close to shore catching bait if you get it at Badin or you will be trying to pick 1 and 2 lb. catfish out of your net. I had to cut the side spines off of one small cat to remove it from the net this morning.

10. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Fished Badin today. Water was clear. We caught a few brim for bait (most of fishing was for my grandson) but finally caught one 3.5 lb channel. Very nice day and we didn't really fish hard.

11. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I fished Badin Sat. also until around 11 am. I got about 15 cats total. All smaller blues and channels. No water was running. Action was pretty steady all morning. Tried up river, only small fish mostly channels. Drifted around Old Whitney most of the time. Caught most fish there in about 30 ft. of water. Some on slip floats and some on downrods fished close to the bottom. Missed one really good fish on bottom rod. Bait and fish are everywhere in the main channel in front of Old Whitney. Let me know when you are going otu this week Tomahawk. later!!