Badin 5/27

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Rookie12, May 28, 2006.

1. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Wow, was the fishing off today or what? I fished from 4:00 until midnight and caught one white bas about 2 lb. tired for flats up by the dam, down the lake and then went and drifted down form Old Whitney. got a couple hits drifting, but none in the boat. I was using a 4/0 #42 Eagle Claw hook for drifting. I'm wondering if a circle hook would be better. I've never done it before so I'm learnin'. I like that I can conver a lot of water while drifting. I just got to learn the technique a little better. Seemed like most of the fish that I marked were in around 30' to 40' deep. Had several hits, but couldn't stick the fish. Has anybody else had this problem. I only drifted for about an hour and a half. I think I had about 5 hits that I knew of. Kind of hard to tell with the rods bouncing all the time. I'm going back Tues. morning to try it some more. Any help appreciated.

2. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Chris, 95% of the fishing that i do is driftfishing, To me the only hook to use is the Gamakatsu-Octopus-Circle hook ,from 4/0-thru-8/0, and they work real well for my type fishing, They work best if you snell them. if your rods have a little bounce in them while drifting,their working, we call it (their hunting.)for bait we use fresh bream,shad,mullet,herron,and white perch. good luck and i hope this helps.
    we are planing a trip down there in a few weeks. hope we can find some long areas to drift........

3. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Hey Chris, He is right about the rods bouncing, you know that they are on the bottom. As far as hits, a good cat will load up that rod just like when you are achored. As far as hooks, I think that they are plenty of good ones. I like the 5/0 kahle hooks. see ya

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    dragger there are no long areas to drift like say santee because the water depth changes and badin is a deep lake. if you drift the ledges and the humps at badin you will be limited to 1/4-1/2 mile drifts. i think what rookie12 was getting hits may have been the white/grey cats. i have seen them follow the bait for several hundred yards just pecking away at it. rookie 12 i just leave my rods in the rod holder and most of the time the fish will hook itself. i have notice the blues will just take the rod down never letting it come back up and the channels will take the rod down and bounce the rod pretty good. im not sure when the thermocline is going to show up but when it does i change from bottom dragging to drifting suspended striaght down. i really like to drift because you can cover some water. if you can find some clam beds at badin you will be better off with the blues.

5. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Chris, I went to Badin yesterday morning. I looked around up river and behind the dam. Didn't mark any big or even medium fish. Just didn't look good so I went to Tuckertown and marked lots of good fish and bait but no bites near Riles creek. Went to the upper dam and had one bite on a float rig. Didn't hook the fish though. Lots of herring running along the wall where the pipe comes out on the left side. I lost one good fish while freelining a live herring on my bream rod. You might want to try Tuckertown sometime. Just be careful if you try to go to the upper dam and use your trolling motor where you see the danger buoy and rocks. I wouldn't try going to the dam if water is running. You will hit rocks.

6. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    How do you locate the clam beds. I am just learning about them. Thanks for the reports.

7. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks Michael, 1/4 to1/2 mile drifts will be ok, I'll just freshen the baits and go again. thanks for the info brother. ....steve

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    dragger thats all you can do with badin. you can find humps and ledges in badin but the humps maybe 30-40ft with fish laying on the top and edges but when you drop off the hump you might go into 60-70-80-160ft of water in some areas and its hard to keep the bait on the bottom.

dw as far as the clam beds i have found a few areas that seem to be really ruff on the bottom when drifting. in these area i have caught clam on the weight of my rig. they must lay there open and when the weight hits on them they clamp down.......lol. you got to break the shells alot of times to get them off. i have anchor fished these area before and when i wind in alot of times i get old shells on the hook. i dont know if its true but i had a guide at santee years ago that said the clams in santee could not live without sun light on them. he said that most of the time they are in 10 ft of water or less because of this. i ve caught blues at badin in the summer months where there mouth would just about be bleeding from feeding on the clams.

guys you really got to be patience fishing for blues at badin most of the time but the chance of catching a giant is there. the most blues i have seen caught this year in one day was 4 and they weighed in right at 90lbs but i know there have been 2 fish days that weigh 120lbs caught this year by tomahawk. so be patience and hold on tight:big_smile:

9. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    hey guys, what have you found to be them most productive trolling speed. I'm using my trolling motor, not a drift sock or anything. I use my GPS to monitor my speed. The other day I was going anywhere from .4 to .8. With the trolling motor on low, that's about as slow as I can get it to go without going against the wind. I'm going to get up early Tues. morning and go after flatheads before daylight and then head down the lake and try some more drift fishing. I'll be at Badin, sorry, forgot to mention that. With the number of blues in Tillery, I'm going to try it there too, I just wish that shad were easier to find this time of year. Hey I've got clams on the weight before too, I even had one eat the bait on my hook last time, I had to get a knife to pry him off my hook. Talk about getting robbed. I assume this is the same on Badin, but I caught a blue on Norman one night that was fat as a pig. We were catching fish to eat, so when I filleted him, I cut him open and found 15 whole clams in him. That's got to hurt trying to pass them shells, OUCH!!!! later